New Chin owner here!! :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa123

Hey all! I just took in my first chinchilla pair a few days ago- it was very unexpected and I was VERY unprepared! :/

I work at a pet store and sadly people think it's alright to dump their unwanted pets off at any given time...
This female has been at the store for over a month and had a surprise litter of babies not even 4 days after the "owner" dumped her.

I had no idea this was happening as I only work a few days a week and I do not work in the actual store but in a boarding facility inside the store itself.
I went into work on Friday and saw the sign that stated the mama was up for adoption to employee's only and I jumped on it!

My husband has been begging me for a chinchilla for over a year now; I've always said no- I have always been a guinea pig person. I have 13 piggies <3

I have ordered everything online already but I'm still waiting to receive it. I would love to know your thoughts as to what I've bought so far.

Items I am waiting on:

Ferret Nation Double 182
Wooden platforms
Wooden houses
Flying Saucer wheel (metal)
Blue cloud rocks

Items I already have:

Oxbow chinchilla pellets/ dish
2nd cut Timothy hay
distilled water/ bottle
dust bath
High back litter pan (hard plastic- not chewing on it yet)
apple sticks and wicker balls

I have mama and the baby in a temp cage at the moment. One of her babies has gone to it's forever home but the baby I have with me now I will be fostering until she is older as the person supposed to be taking her isn't knowledgeable in chins yet.

I must say though, I am secretly praying that she backs down so I can keep this baby girl with her mama. They are so bonded and will cuddle up right next to each other while sleeping.

These are my first chins so any information you can share with me would be a HUGE life saver. Thank all and I look forward to learning all about the world of chin-slaves ;)

Pictures of course!!

photo.php

photo.php

**also- is there an easier way to upload pics that doesn't involve links??**

Welcome to the forum!

The easiest way for me to upload pictures is to do the advanced post and then go down to manage attachments. You can then easily add up to 5 pictures to your post in the specified format.

The very last forum topic (bottom of the home page) is a test forum if you want to try it out.

HI and welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start with your chinchillas already! Way to go!

Thanks all!
The kit is a female. As of right now I am 99% sure I will be keeping her with the mama!
I have messaged the person that said she wanted the baby and still haven't gotten a reply- and I messaged Friday night..

I will be getting their cage and all accessories except the flying saucer today. Very excited to see them climbing and running around! :D

Pictures as promised- thanks for the tip btw!

This is their temporary cage and it now has a lid made out of grids over it. The mama jumped out of it the night I set up the cage. ;)

Attachments

• chin.jpg
    chin.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 12
  • tempcage.jpg
    tempcage.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 12
  • tempcage2.jpg
    tempcage2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts