New Chin owner from NY and new to here

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone,

I got my chinchilla about a month and a half ago from a rescue. I don't know too much about them yet, but i'm doing my best to learn as much as I can. I really just know the basics like dust baths, food, toys, snacks, outside play time, etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good reusable cage liners I could use to line his cage. I have the Prevue Hendryx 485 cage (with 2 layers) and at first I tried using the fleece but I hate seeing the poop and when I would vacuum it with the hand vacuum the fleece would lift up too so I would constantly have to pull it down when I was vacuuming it. Then I tried using the foam pads that are for kids in their play room, but he chews on it, as far as I can tell he doesn't eat it since the pieces are all over but I don't want to risk him getting sick so I took it out. If you know of any cage liners (preferably solid) that I could use I would really appreciate it. I was thinking of something like a tile material but lighter, but i'm worried about when he pees, is it bad for him to be stepping in his pee? I'm a college student so i'm not in my apartment all day. I am in the house every few hours, and all night of course but i can't clean his pee immediately.

Thank you in advance.

Cage: https://smile.amazon.com/Prevue-485...qid=1467682680&sr=8-2&keywords=critter+nation

example of foam pads i use to line cage: https://smile.amazon.com/Non-Toxic-...qid=1467683133&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+pads+kids

Welcome. :)

If you look at ticklechin's posts, you'll find pictures of her cages lined with ceramic tiles. She's been using them for years and is very happy with them. I would not use that foam. First, it's going to stink, second as you stated, he's going to chew it. You may not see him ingest it, but it could happen and blockages are no fun to deal with. I would consider using the ceramic tiles and then putting fleece liners over top if you are worried about pee. Or, chins are usually pretty easy to litter train for pee (never poop), and you could just put a litter box in with shavings in it for her to use. Most chins pee in the same spot of their cage all the time, so it should be relatively easy for you to figure out where to put it.

Latest posts

Back