New chin owner (again) in Virginia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calcaneus

Hello all,

I recently acquired two mature standard chinchillas from my parents - the family pets, who sadly have been a bit neglected after us kids got swept up in high school and then moved out. There's a male and a female, brother and sister, who are both about 12 or so. Since they were born so long ago and I've been out of the house for so long I can't even remember their names, so I'm thinking up new ones for them! We live in Williamsburg now, and I'm new to the area myself so I'm trying to figure out resources for them.

The female has an old injury her back leg on the left side that I'd like to get checked out with a vet - she can't put much weight on it and sometimes she's sitting with her foot almost sideways underneath her. I sort of doubt there's anything that can be done for her at this point, and I think surgery would be too traumatic for her, but I'd like to check for my own piece of mind. Is there a master list anywhere here of chin-expert vets? She is fairly adept at moving around her cage with the leg as it is, so I'm not sure how much pain it's causing her.

The male has always been quite friendly and inquisitive, and the female always a bit skittish, and now is understandably very opposed to people touching her. I've been trying to get them used to the new house, allowing them to run around briefly on the workbench where their cages are and trying to find a room in the house that is easily chin-proof and that they will enjoy. I tried letting them out on the back porch - it's completely screened in and I checked the screening three times before letting them out! - but they didn't seem to like it, possibly the insect noise and other nighttime sounds were frightening to them? I think the bathroom, though small, will be the next place I try. I also wonder if I should let the female chin out until I get the leg problem checked. She generally doesn't like roaming like the male does, except a few days ago when I think she was in heat. I definitely am not going to let them breed, but I wish the male at least could have a cage mate, as he seems vivacious and like he's trying to get companionship out of the female when they do interact (even when she's not in heat!).

I'd like to eventually is change their cages a bit. The current cages have pine shelves but a wire floor, which I know isn't best for their feet. Is there anything that could be put into their cage and rolled over the wire to adapt the cage floors? What sorts of woodchip/shavings do people usually use for their cages?

I've seen a lot of grousing on here about how bad pet store chin food is for them, and I know the stuff they've been raised on (Sunseed Chinchilla mix) has raisins and other things they aren't supposed to have. Are there any online sources of high quality chin food that people overwhelmingly suggest? Where do most people get their supplies? I believe there are a few chain pet stores and possibly some smaller ones here, but I haven't yet found one where people seem particularly knowledgeable about chins. Are there any guidelines of how to change the food chinchillas are given once they are used to a particular sort? They also get timothy hay every day and a bath with pumice dust.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice about how to introduce change to their lives and how to make them feel secure about their new home. Their moods seem to fluctuate wildly in the week I've had them, but I presume that's to be expected. I've definitely been caught by the chin bug again and love having them around!

Female: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/boudiceaborn/SDC13070.jpg
Male: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/boudiceaborn/SDC13071.jpg

1) Here are a couple vets listed on our vet thread. Not sure if they are close to you, but I'm sure there are folks from Virginia that will come along and can help out.

Dr. Peter G. Fisher, DVM
Pet Care Veterinary Hospital
5201- A Virginia Beach Boulevard (Next to Bayside Kennels)
Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23462
(757)473-0111
http://www.petcarevb.com/index.html

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878 (several vets in Virginia)

As far as the leg, depending on what's wrong, broken legs (or legs that have healed wrong and are causing pain) can be amputated. Chins get along just fine without all 3 legs, and often times they will feel a lot better once the injured limb is gone. If her foot is twisted and she can't use it, and if it seems to be causing her pain, removing it would be the kindest thing.

2) A playpen would be your best bet I would think. That, or the bathroom, for playtime. Bathrooms are nice and contained, provided they are clean, no chemicals around, and the toilet lid is down, etc. Otherwise, playpens are awesome for safe run time for chins. You can load them up with toys and put their dust in there, etc. If you do a search on playpens, you'll get several threads that pop up and you can see the different ones. Sandi just put up a thread about the chin fairy and in it she has an playpen that lots of people use as well, one of the pop up ones. You need to keep the male and female apart. You cannot always tell when a female is in heat and it takes seconds for her to conceive. Without pedigrees and a whole host of other reasons to breed, they shouldn't be together. Her age could also be an issue.

3) You can use ceramic tile and put it on the bottom of the cage to give a foot rest. You could also line the bottom of the cages with fleece liners, but you'll need to change the liners every other day or so. As far as wood chips, people mostly use either kiln dried pine or aspen.

4) There are several foods that are good. Some you may be able to find in your area, all of them you can order on line from someone.

Tradition
Nutrena Naturewise 16%
Oxbow
APD
Mazuri
Purina (but I don't know the new formula name)

If they are on crappy food, like the one you describe, just do a cold switch. Take away the old stuff, give them new, healthier pellets. As long as the treat filled pellets are in front of them, they are going to choose that over the better pellets.

5) http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546&page=2 - That's an updated list of the sellers on forum. Tanya has excellent supplement, Sandi sells Oxbow which a lot of people really like, and there are a host of others on there as well.

6) Just give them time to settle in. Some chins adjust to changes easily, others take time. I wouldn't give them run time for now. Just let them settle into their new home for several weeks first.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Thanks a lot for all the advice - I've just been looking up Tradition pet food and was wondering if it was a good option!

One of the stores that sells Tradition also seems to sell something called 'Timothy Alfalfa' which confused me - I thought Timothy was good for chins and Alfalfa wasn't?

The closest of those vets is probably the Virginia Beach vet for me - about an hour away. I've sent some feelers out for local vets in case of emergency, but when I get her leg checked out I'll take her to the Virginia Beach one I think.

It's a mix hay, with a bit of each. The big problem with alfalfa is if you overfeed it is a lot higher in calcium. Too much calcium can cause stones to develop. So most people consider it a rule of thumb, alfalfa based pellets, timothy hay.

Welcome to the forum!!
I'm in VA to, but far away from you sadly
Got any pics? We love pictures

Hello and welcome! I used to live in Richmond and really enjoy visiting Williamsburg.

Peggy gave great advice - I also just wanted to point out that they should be having no playtime together as they could breed in the blink of an eye - they also will not recognize that they are brother and sister and that "that would be yucky." You could attempt to introduce a same sex friend for both of them but after having lived alone for 12 years I am not so sure they would be receptive. I could work or it could not. No real way to know so you would have to be prepared with extra cages should they not like each other.

Latest posts

Back