New Chin, now every thing is crazy.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Our 'old' boys have been buddies just about since we go them. They ate, sleep and play together. The best. Two peas in a pod..etc..

My wife got a new Chin...a white and gray male. (Chili and Chalupa are also males)

It came time to introduce them. (Still in separate cages, but now in same room)

Everything went bad from there.

Chalupa started attaching his brother Chili whom he had been buddy with since we got them.

He acts crazy, stomping, throwing a tantrum, chewing on stuff he never did before. Basically being a BRAT. He sometimes pulls Chilis hair out.

So now they are separated.

The new Chin (Kookie)gets along with Chili, with the occational squabble, and they have spent some time in each others cage with minimal issues. They are still sleeping iseparate cages.

So now my Farret Nation 142 is separated, and we have a small quarantine cage for Kookie, in hopes he will get along with his new brothers.

Can the two brothers get along like before? or did this new chin mess that up? We were told the new chin is a male, and it does look like the pics I see here on the site. So I dont believe thisis a mating responce.

Any suggestions?

I'm not at all experienced with introducing chins, so I can't help you there. But if Kookie has a penis, he's a male. JS.

I'm not at all experienced with introducing chins, so I can't help you there. But if Kookie has a penis, he's a male. JS.

Judging male and female chinchillas is not quite so simple in practice. Urogenital spacing is an easier and less stressful indicator than doing a penis check on a scared chin.

Can the two brothers get along like before? or did this new chin mess that up? We were told the new chin is a male, and it does look like the pics I see here on the site. So I dont believe thisis a mating responce.

Any suggestions?

Adding a new chin to the established mix can mess up a bonded pair. You can try reintroducing the original two, or you can accept that the trio will never be a trio. Check the introductions FAQ.

I always tell people that trios often don't work and that it can mess up an insisting pair. I know they do work for some people but it seems it doesn't work more often. Maybe it is just what I have been hearing but it seems that way to me.

Trios are hard to do, if you want to do it it is best to do it when they're young, otherwise it can be very difficult especially with males.

Even with my single chins, once a new chin is introduced into the chin room its a freak out fest for a week or so.

I had a single chin first then got a pair of brothers. I tried introducing them slowly. They don't fight or cause major problems but they don't get along well...so I just keep them separate for the most part - even tho their cages are right next to each other.

Well the plot thickens...

It appears the new boy we got may not be all we bargained for.

As of today, any of the two original chins are OK with the new, just not in the presence of each other.

Also....(and youll probably get were I'm going) the original male chins are trying to mate with the new chin.

Also...during supervised play time in their play pen, with one 'old' chin and the new.. The new chin BOUNCES several times on two legs and then tries to PEE on the other after being chased (not attacked).

:cry3:

Back