New Chin Mom!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kourt1313

So I just got my one year old Chin yesterday! I'm familiar with all sorts of exotics, I've had Guinea Pigs, turtles, currently have a hedgehog and I've done my research but I could use some pointers on bonding. For now since I've only had him since last night I've only put my hand in the cage for him to sniff (he let me hold him in the store so I know he's a love and is fine being held, but I wasn't the one to get him out of the cage either). I've read this is how I should proceed for the next week or so to let him get used to my scent and from there start offering treats and such (he's already taken toys and treats out of my hand). He's rested his front feet on my hand and has bumped up against it, but if I move or go towards him he "barks" at me. Is this pretty normal at the very beginning? I definitely want to have a close bonded relationship with this little guy, so I don't want to scare him in any way.

I've named him Chim Chim Cheroo, after the song in Mary Poppins, cuz he's kind of an ashy color and his tail makes me think of a chimney sweep broom lol.

Attachments

• 11107732_10200437301332906_6149710005527468195_n.jpg
    11107732_10200437301332906_6149710005527468195_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40
He's a cute one! Definitely get rid of the pine cone, it may be dangerous for him! Let him settle in for 2-3 days. Add in lots of toys and fresh food,water,and timothy hay. Dont try to mess with him for a few days so he can settle in. Put a blanket over the cage so he can be alone. He's a cutie!

Chim Chim is so very cute! Kind of like cats, they need a few days to adjust to their new surroundings. It sounds like you have very good instincts. My female will bark at me when she is grumpy or feels like I'm invading her space. I'm sure once he's settled, you two will be the best of pals.

He's a cute little beige boy. Don't cover the cage with a blanket. Shins need air circulation and the cage could overheat if covered. His behavior is normal. Give him a little timeto get used to you by putting your hands in his cage and letting him crawl over them. Once he is comfortable with your hand and arms, begin trying to pick him up. He will need to learn to allow himself to be picked up in case of emergency so don't be afraid to do so. He will not be traumatized by it. If you wait 'till he is willing to jump into your hands and stay there while you lift him, you may be waiting forever.

Thanks guys! He actually let me pick him up this morning. I was told the best way is by the base of the tail with one hand under his tummy and it worked beautifully.

I'll check in with more of an update when I have more time... Till then... *waves*

Alright. First weekend with the new baby and all went well. He barks occasionally but has already started letting me pick him up and hold him. The pet store gave us the cage he was in which is ok, but I consider it just a glorified rat cage so I have a much larger one on wheels arriving today.

I was told they chew on plastic and this new cage's flooring is plastic, but I've noticed he's not that much of a chewer on things he shouldn't chew. He mostly just chews his wood stuff, maybe a little on his tile, that's it really. The current cage he's in has wire flooring. On the bottom level he has a large wood square and a large tile to sit on, whereas his second shelf is all wire, so the other day I put fleece on the second level so he's not resting on wire but he hated it. He would go up his ramp, jump onto his tunnel, and into his food bowl, he wanted nothing to do with the fleece, so I took it out about a day later and he would go back up there to sleep again. I was going to cover the plastic levels in the new cage and floor with fleece, especially since it's so easy to clean, but now I'm wondering if I should just get wood ledges or if he'll possibly just get used to the fleece if he doesn't have any other option?

As far as the weather goes, it got stupid hot here this weekend so I had to move him into the coolest room of the house which is my TV room. Even with the A/C off I have the ceiling fan going and it creates a nice chill whereas I have my ceiling fan and two floor fans going in my bedroom and it's still hellish. But with this new cage we'll be able to wheel him out into the living room as well where it's cooler so he can still get plenty of attention. I don't go in my TV room much. Guess I'll start to have to lol.

fans can circulate air, but other then that they do not cool a chinchilla down. Chins cant sweat and a fan will just blow hot air on them.

With the Barking I've been reading about things chinnies could eat Google said strawberries but my crazy guy sniffed it then barked strange but adorable creatures they are

Right. That's why I moved him into the coolest room of the house.

Here's an updated, much cuter photo!

Attachments

• 11430104_10200456352569175_5218916355791791195_n.jpg
    11430104_10200456352569175_5218916355791791195_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
How exciting! Time, patience, and care - also, consistent learning about chinchilla care and health is crucial to a growing bond and responsible parenthood! I have a ton of tips on my blog, and plenty of chin care information as well. I think giving your chin their space in the beginning stages and allowing them to come to you when they're ready is a great way to start to build that strong, loving relationship.

He's adorable! Best advice I can give you is to read this forum. Especially the posts/threads from long time members who have years of experience.

There is a lot of stuff on the internet about chinchillas that is just simply bad information. You've probably already noticed that there are so many contradictions among websites. Even so called 'expert' websites can't all be trusted because they promoted practices that could harm your chin (I.E. give your chin raisins and other things to eat that will cause tooth decay and health problems).

I was going crazy trying to find correct information about how to care for chins and when I found this message board I was so happy.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! So we are a full week in and I don't think my Chinchilla knows how to Chinchilla lol. The cage he was in at the pet shop was the one they gave me to bring him home in till my large cage came. It had a ramp and very small second level but no room to run or jump. I got the new cage together Friday night and he seems to like it, he hops around, but has no idea what to do with the ledges or hidey house. He'll stand up and sniff the ledges but won't jump and he sleeps in his wheel, not his house. Is it possible he just doesn't know what to do having never had the opportunity? Or is he just getting used to the surroundings? I haven't been home today but my mom is keeping an eye on him and she says he just sits in his wheel. He didn't have a hidey house in the cage he came in (just a tube), he spent much of his time in there on the wheel or walking up the ramp to the sleeping ledge. He does run in his wheel and hops around exploring when I'm in there with him, he has let me brush him to get the mats out and hold him so I'm not concerned there's a health problem. He just literally seems like he doesn't know how to be a Chinchilla! Lol

Latest posts

Back