New chin mamma here!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna

Hello everyone!

So lets see, where to start. I have 3 human boys (well, 4 if you count the hubby! ), 2 chin boys, a canine girl and a feathered girl, AND my saltwater reef. I do love my family!

Anyway, my human boys wanted a small furry animal. We have had rats in the past, but I just didnt want to deal with the smell again. In my research, i came across chinchillas and kinda fell in love; but never took that step. We already have a fairly full house!

So, months later, I found a 6 month old male chin and a super low price. I have to admit I can be impulsive, but at least I commit. I picked up the chin, who I have named Baby Blue, and brought him last friday.

Admittedly, I knew little about thier care outside of the basics. I immediately started reading and realized a few things needed to be corrected immediately.

First off, he came with a too small wire cage. I adopted Blue from his second owner, who worked two jobs and owned 2 Rottweilers in a studio apartment. The rotties while adorable saw poor Blue as a snack, and as a result Blue was hidden in the only place she could find; the bathroom. I live in seattl, the humidity must have been awful but thats another rant. She had had him for less than 3 weeks.

So, back to the cage. I immediately threw towels over the wire and started looking for an upgrade.

That is when I came across Grumpy Jack. His owner said it was time for him and his wife to "move on" (what does that even mean?) And that they had no time for him. Jack came with a huge, double decker ferret nation cage. I was searching for the ferret nation cage when I found Jack. Knowing that chins are best kept with same sex to avoid breeding, and that they are happier in sets, I brought Jack home last monday.

Immediately, I needed to add shelves to the cage. It needed either upgraded pans or fleece liners, more toys and interesting places. I started looking at custom fleece liners, and wholley molley people are making a killing on them! The night I brought Jack home, I found some clearenced fleece blankets and started sewing. I made liners for the bottom pan, cutout and both shelves monday evening.

Tuesday saw a trip to petsmart and home depot. We picked up shelf material and hardware to mount the cardboard tunnels I found. I replaced the wire ramps with wooden ones, and stared sewing fleece hidey boxes.

So, yea. Im impulsive but commited! Both Baby Blue and Grumpy Jack are getting more comfortable. They are out for hours at night supervised in my semi chin proof bedroom. It was a disappontment to realize how much they hate being picked up, but they come see me (or use me for a launching pad) all night long if I relax with a book or a good show.

So thats us. Im hoping this is an active forum where I can meet friends and become a chin expert. :) It has always been through immersing myself in a community such as this that I have learned about my other interests in commitments. I am excited to be here!

Thank you for the welcome everyone! Ive already learned so much from this site just tonight, reading while the boys bounce off the walls. I got a flying saucer ordered (the price was ouchy! I paid the same for Jack and the FN cage so I hope this thing is as good as its reviews!). I had to get a wheel, I bought a huge wheel from the petstore, Jack figured it out quickly, and just as quickly I realised he was hitting his back on the bar thing. So, it was immediately removed but I felt bad about the teaser. The wheel advertised for chins too. Big lesson learned there!

Hi, welcome to CnH. It's wonderful how everything worked out for you, Blue and Jack. Sounds like they're about to be spoiled rotten. Congrats on your new family and the one you will find here.;)

Congrats on your new chins!! I have a flying saucer wheel I love it!! I save some money with mine by cleaning out the bearings when they start to squeak and replace the grease in them all I do is remove the bearings from the wheel the instructions are on the website you got it from then I soak them in rubbing alcohol and spin them till the old black grease stops pouring out then I let them dry and use a tiny feeding syringe to add warm melted Vaseline to the inside where you can also see the tiny metal balls that make it spin once there is enough in there to make it spin smoothly you can put the bearings back on the wheel.

Latest posts

Back