New chin having bad diarrhea!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreenbmp

double chin trouble
So we bought a new chin on Saturday, the first day he was fine, we left him alone in the cage. The next day he started having dairrhea...so we took away his food (he is on plain Timothy hay pellets) and gave him tons of hay. He eats a lot of it, and he has plenty of water. We haven't givin him any treats. He eats and drinks. He is very comfortable around us, and is not jumpy. In fact he will come up to us, almost like we comfort him. I know sometimes chins poop will be like this when they are stressed...but he doesn't seem to stressed. Or anything. We have another chin, and never had this problem.. I came home today and his cage was just smeared with poop, it's getting everywhere and on him, I'm just worried because it seems to be getting worse...any advise? He is about a few months old we think. Still pretty small, and make. Thanks!!

Vet visit. Shredded wheat or char burned toast can help relieve symptoms but you need to find out what is causing it if it last longer than a day or so. It really sounds like he needs a vet.

What kind of food are you feeding him and is it the same type of food he was on before you got him? Are you giving him any kind of treats?

Not giving him any treats at all I gave him some plain shredded wheat last night before i went to bed so ill see if that helps. They are dry pellets, with nothing extra mixed in.Kaytee Timothy Complete Chinchilla Food is the kind we give him.

Kaytee Timothy Complete Chinchilla Food is what he has. We took it away and now it's straight hay. we have not given him treats at all. I don't know if it matters, but he is acting completely fine and very playfull.

Was he eating the Kaytee before he came to you? Sometimes an abrupt food switch can cause digestive issues in chinchillas.

Otherwise, wash your hands well before and after handling him, and if the diarrhea hasn't resolved after feeding hay only (lots of hay) for 24 hours, he needs to go to the vet. If you've only had him for about a week, you want to make sure he doesn't have a bug he could pass to your other chinchilla.

Back