New Chin Hates Humans

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mouse0217

I recently rescued a 6 month old female chin to accompany my 4 year old female chin after her cage mate passed away. The introduction went great and they continue to get along (of course with an occasional squeak here and there). The problem is the new chin wants nothing to do with humans. Anyone who gets near the cage gets barked at and lunged at (even me!). I never approach her unless she comes to me (which never happens unless I have a treat which she grabs, eats, and then squeaks after eating it). The new chin also squeaks when I am petting and playing with the other chin (like she's her bodyguard). Will this get better? What are some other steps I should be taking? Thanks for any replies.

There is some chance that your chins will become bonded to each other and prefer each others company over yours. I think that it will take longer for your new chin to accept you because she will rather be with her chin friend than you.

I'd say just take it slow and let her get used to you. Have playtime with them and let her just run around you, don't try to approach her and pick her up or anything. With time she hopefully will get to tolerate you.

But this is just the way some chins are, some don't necessarily enjoy human company.

It can take some time to build trust with a new chinchilla. Since your new girl is a rescue, she might have a traumatic past and be especially wary of humans.

I would recommend simply sitting in front of their cage and talking to her so that she can get used to your voice. You can then progress to sitting in front of the cage with your hand in the cage. Let her come and explore you in her own time. Each chinnie is individual in how long it takes them to be trusting of their owner. Give her some time. How long have you had her?

I completely agree with Alli713. It'll just be a long road. You could of course seperate them and get to know your new chin a bit faster, but it would be only marginally faster. As with anything with Chinchillas slower is usually better.

Thanks for the replies. I hope she eventually comes around.

Back