New chin eye & nose

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncc2015

ಥ_ಥ‏
I just got another chinchilla today that is 8 months old from a previous owner not the pet store. I realized that he had some crusties around his eyes and that he has a small cut on his nose. I treated a small cut on my other chinchilla with sea salt on a cotton swab and it has healed great. Should I do this for the new chin and what should I do about his crusty eyes does that mean he has another health problem and I wanted to know what I can do before we make the initial check up appointment this week. Thanks all the advice I can get is much appreciated. I was also wondering that they use a vanilla scented dust bath and I read the reviews on petco/petsmart and people said that their chins began experiencing respiratory problems with it. I was wondering if that could possibly also account for his crusty eyes. Also I noticed that some of his whiskers look like they were cut short or something that the length doesn't flow with the lengths of the whiskers close by it. ONly a few look excessively short like he got it caught on something and it got cut off. Please let me know what I should do thanks again.

I just got another chinchilla today that is 8 months old from a previous owner not the pet store. I realized that he had some crusties around his eyes and that he has a small cut on his nose. I treated a small cut on my other chinchilla with sea salt on a cotton swab and it has healed great. Should I do this for the new chin and what should I do about his crusty eyes does that mean he has another health problem and I wanted to know what I can do before we make the initial check up appointment this week. Thanks all the advice I can get is much appreciated. I was also wondering that they use a vanilla scented dust bath and I read the reviews on petco/petsmart and people said that their chins began experiencing respiratory problems with it. I was wondering if that could possibly also account for his crusty eyes. Also I noticed that some of his whiskers look like they were cut short or something that the length doesn't flow with the lengths of the whiskers close by it. ONly a few look excessively short like he got it caught on something and it got cut off. Please let me know what I should do thanks again.

Ditch the vanilla dust. It could be irritating his eyes and causing respiratory problems.

If he was housed with other chins before, a dominant chin may have chewed his whiskers short as a sign of dominance. They will grow back.

Not sure I'd use sea salt to clean a nose as it could sting. I would also make sure that you keep a good quarantine just in case the new guy is sick and contagious.

I hope it's just irritation from a recent dusting and all is well.

yes i don't plan on using that i have blue sparkle dust and just got a lot of blue cloud dust today. So is there anything that I can do to treat his eyes for now I just wiped them away with a cotton swab for now and that's it. Also I noticed on his ears at the base looking at him from behind they are kind of more redish pink at the base a different color from the rest of his ears. Is this just the coloring or could it possibly be a rash or something? Thanks for the info about the whiskers I didn't know if that was another possible health issue I might have to worry about. Thanks GorrillaJTA and Jazicat for the quick responses sof ar.

Make sure you quarantine him and wash your hands well after handling him. I would get a vet appointment to check his eyes for an infection and his lungs for a URI. Both can often be easily treated if caught early.

Yes I havn't been putting him near my other chin and was going to put his cage in my room too but decided not to just in case. Yes we do plan on going to the vet as soon as we can but it's not open tomorrow which sucks because it would have been easier. So I was still wondeirng if there is anything else I can do for his eye before the vet visit? I also looked closely at his ears and besides being red looking like a rash he kind of has some white spots that look like dry but I'm not sure if it could possibly be ear mites or a fungus or something.

Back