New Chin Bros

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnguyen

Hi guys,

I am about to get 3 kits (woo hoo!!). and I came across this community. I am really excited to welcome my new chins, but also have so many questions.

I have 3 guinea pigs for a while now (hope they get along during play time), and I know that chinchilla also eats timonthy hay. But I don't know if chinchilla kits need alfalfa hay more of timonthy hay or the mixed between the two.

I also need a good source of Blue Cloud Dust if someone in this forum is selling them or know a good website to order them!

Beside from those I have pretty much everything else ready!

Thank you.

:bump1:

Welcome to the forum! Its awesome you could join! : )

Sounds so exciting to get three kits at the same time! You'll have your hands full, but it will be worth it.

Timothy should make up the main part of the hay offered, though slowly introducing a little alfalfa is alright as well. Just make sure you don't offer a bunch or too suddenly, as it can upset their stomachs. After all, it is a legmue, not a grass like Timothy, Orchard and Brome.

Welcome. :)

Blue cloud is going to be pretty hard to come by. Blue Sparkle or some are using ground pumice are probably easier for you to find.

What feed are you using? Rule of thumb is if it's alfalfa based, give timothy hay. If it's timothy hay, offer alfalfa. Make sure you get a good quality pellet above all else.

I would not recommend letting your animals play together. I don't allow any cross exposure between my rats, degu, guinea pig, chin, birds, ferrets, etc. I think it's safer that way and less worry about diseases that can be passed plus injuries that can occur. Chins can be super hardy, but they are also easily breakable.

Back