New chin, basic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLostLena

Hey guys I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place and I apologise if it's the wrong place,
Okay so I have gotten a new Chinchilla three days ago he is about 7 months old and we have the essentials for him and all, he seems settled into his home already, I know people say when you get a new chinchilla they take time to get to know you. He allows me to pet him every now and then.

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to get him to trust me properly, I've been talking to him to get him used to my voice and have been having my hand in the cage just sitting there to show him I won't hurt him.

My first Chin, I am prepared to wait as long as it takes for his trust, any ideas? :)

yup . trusting you just takes time. i used to have a very skittsh chin or at least what i thought was a skittish chin. 4 months of owning her later she suddenly changed. she is now a cuddly lovable freindly chinny. shes my little baby.

lol hopefully it wont take your chinny that long to warm up to you :) my other girl warmed up to me withing a week or two.

Thank you :) my only other problem now is that after I read to him I took some hay and put it in my palm letting him take it from me which he did then out of nowhere he made a kind Of barking noise but I didn't do anything so I'm not sure..any ideas?

It sounds like you are doing great with your chin already! He might of heard a strange noise or got a whiff of a new smell, or you could have altered your stance slightly and it startled him. Or he could of been saying 'ok, I'm done for now mom'. My chins sometimes bark at each other because one is in the way of the other so I'm sure it's just him still adjusting to his new home. Best of luck with your new chinnie!

Latest posts

Back