New cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

Finally got Carl a Midwest critter nation double unit small animal cage. I've been looking at it for close to a year now and finally have the money to give him a decent cage! The cage his old owner gave me for him when I first got him was so small! Granted it had 2 levels but it felt like he had no room to really run around when he got the energy. (Besides playtime when he gets out of course) So I bought him the one he has now, 3 levels. Still too much plastic for my liking. Now, he's getting a cage I deem good enough for him 😄! I will post pictures but I just wanted to share my joy and happiness. I can't wait till it arrives and I get to put his little furry body in it!

I learn new things about chinchillas every year. I thought after 2 years of researching chins before I got Carl, I "knew" everything, but I didn't and this site helps so much. Everybody here has helped me become a better owner every day. I no I've done a lot wrong when having Carl. I'm not the best owner. But I try and I fix my errors. Having less plastic in his life is just another thing I'm fixing 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can cover plastic with fleece, as long as he isn't a fleece chewer! Check out the FN club thread... It will give you a lot of decorating ideas :D

I learn new things about chinchillas every year. I thought after 2 years of researching chins before I got Carl, I "knew" everything, but I didn't and this site helps so much. Everybody here has helped me become a better owner every day. I no I've done a lot wrong when having Carl. I'm not the best owner. But I try and I fix my errors. Having less plastic in his life is just another thing I'm fixing 😊

I've had chinchillas for 20 years and I am still learning new stuff. The main reason you are learning new stuff every year is because new info is coming out every year. Chins have only been in the pet world for about 60 years, domesticated less then 100 years ago, and only becoming more popular in the last 20 or so depending on where you live. I got my first chin in '94 and even consulted a breeder for info, and now a lot of what she told me is considered wrong. So in short, it's an ongoing learning experience for everyone, since we don't yet know all there is to know about them.

Back to your cage though, congrats on upgrading, as said the plastic trays can be covered in fleece so long as he doesn't chew fleece. If you do end up with a fleece chewer there are metal pans you can buy for the CN, made by bass equipment company the ferret nation pans fit the critter nation too. I've heard they even make the shelve pans too, but you have to ask for them.

I can't wait to see pics of your cage!

I have a FN double unit, also with plastic pans. I bought $5 fleece throws from Walmart and cut & stitched them to create cases for the pans. I've had no problems with Eli chewing at the fleece. :)

Thank gosh! Carl is not a fleece chewer :) The only reason i no this is because i switched him to a litter pan this year as well and was so happy when he took to it! If i put too much hay in his cage however, and he scatters it around, he will pee all over, so that means i gotta clean it up and change the fleece sooner than i normally would. However, i fixed that problem and he no longer does that! Thanks so much for the suggestions! Next thing i would like to get him is either a fleece hammock or a flying saucer! He loves his little hut to sleep in that he chews on but he needs a new one anyway. Im always afraid to put the hammock high up in the cage because im afraid of him falling out. Hopefully with this new cage i can put one in at a reasonable height!

So here's Carl's new cage! I love it! It was hard putting it together and I did need a hammer to fix some things that were bent but I had read comments that people have gotten some of there's bent too so I was prepared! It took him awhile for him to even realize that he had 2 more levels to go up. I'll need some more things to decorate his cage now that he has so much room :) totally worth the money!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416339542.141206.jpg

You'll want to remove the ramps, chin's don't need them and they aren't safe. Even covered the covers are known to slip off, or get pulled off, and their toes and legs can get caught in the bars of the ramp. Ledges are a much better option, and are simple to made if you don't want to buy them. The DIY list also has how to make hammocks. As you decorate just make sure there is no way for the chin to drop more then a foot, you kept the middle floor piece in but if you do decide to remove it later that's one thing to really keep in mind.

So here's Carl's new cage! I love it! It was hard putting it together and I did need a hammer to fix some things that were bent but I had read comments that people have gotten some of there's bent too so I was prepared! It took him awhile for him to even realize that he had 2 more levels to go up. I'll need some more things to decorate his cage now that he has so much room :) totally worth the money!! View attachment 21711

Hahaa we have ours set up the same way! Both half pans on the same side, and I even have my litter dish in the same corner :p very cool!

Okay! I'll remove the ramps then. I'll have to keep the middle one only because there's no way right now for him to make his way InBetween the 2 levels. Thanks for the tips!! :D

Latest posts

Back