New Cage for Barnaby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
Last week, I got my Feisty Ferret cage. What do you think? It has taken a while, but Barnaby seems to like it. Oh, and yes. That is a sock tied to the top door. The latch broke. I'm getting a new one.

Attachments

• NewCageBIg.jpg
    NewCageBIg.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 76
  • BarNewCage.jpg
    BarNewCage.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
Looks really good!

A couple of questions/statements:

What food is that he's on? Looks like it has treats in it.

Instead of the sock do you have a piece of fleece you could use to tie the door shut? I'd worry about him chewing the sock and getting a tooth stuck.

Socks & Charlie Chinchilla

Thanks! Yes, I do have some spare fleece around. The sock was just readily available. Oh dear. What does that say about my housekeeping? I figured it was out of his reach, but switching to fleece is probably a wise choice.

Oh dear. His food. This picture is right after his dinner was served. He gets Oxbrow (Oxbow?) Chinchilla pellets with Charlie Chinchilla sprinkled on top as an apetizer. His previous staff members (aka owners) told me he would only eat Charlie Chinchilla. He loves CC very much. Well, he loves most of it. He won't eat the orange bits. He really really loves the little potato chip bits and devours those first. I'm having a difficult time exerting 'tough love' and taking it out of his diet completely. Do you think its okay in small amounts? : (

I was also informed that he won't eat hay. He will eat it occasionally.

Lu

Charlie Chinchilla is not okay in any amounts. It's actually one of the worst (IMO the worst of them all) chinchilla feeds out there. You are doing more harm than good buy offering it to him, really. It contains many things that are no where near healthy or safe for chins. Try giving him alternative safe treats (only in moderation) such as unfrosted shredded wheat, cheerios, old fashioned oats, and rose hips.

Congrats on the new cage, I'm sure he'll love all the space.

It just means you're trying and learning! We all do!

Nix the Charlie Chinchilla and stick w/ Oxbow. Have you tried hay with him? You can mix varieties like Timothy, Botanical, Oat, etc. and find something he likes...although Timothy should be the staple hay.

I switched my chins from charlie chinchilla to these two:-

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/p...foods/beaphar-care-plus-chinchilla-1-5kg.html

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/p...e-science-selective-chinchilla-food-350g.html

I heard these are difficult to get overseas but my chins love these and took straight away. Beaphar is colourful so it doesnt look boring and i have noticed a change since they have been off Charlie Chinchilla, also both are not like a pellet more like a little biscuit :D

I was told Charlie Chinchilla is based on if they eat everything in the bowl to get a balance but there is a lot of suger and you will find they also pick through their bowl. When you look in their bowl after they have had their munch you always find what they dont like at the bottom, thats whats usually the only part good for them.

yeah ditch the charlie chinchilla.....how bout a teeny tiny pinch of old fashioned oats on his food until he is weaned off the "appetizers".

i have the same cage that i use for rescues. it is a decent cage and yours looks GREAT!
i have had mine for many years and the wheels and size allow me to roll it in the garage when not in use.
my only suggesstion would be to make sure you have a support for that wheel. the bars of my cage broke from my one chin just jumping on a wooden shelf i had in the exact same spot as your wheel. maybe try a wooden support.......i think you can use the search function and see examples.

PS--i love how you took out all the plastic shelves and middle wire section!
i didnt even know that was an option. fortunately all the chins that have ever been housed in there were not plastic chewers! but it is nice to know i have options that if i get one in the future i can make alterations.

Feisty Ferret = Ferret Nation?

Is my Feisty Ferret cage the same as a Ferret Nation? Is that a dumb question? It looks like the cages in the Ferret Nation Club folder. :)

Is my Feisty Ferret cage the same as a Ferret Nation? Is that a dumb question? It looks like the cages in the Ferret Nation Club folder. :)

They look similar, but no, they are not the same. FN cages are a bit larger, have thicker metal, and both doors open on the front instead of just one side. They also do not have the wire cage bottoms.

Latest posts

Back