New Cage//Any suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HaleyGoBoom

So, I recently purchased the cage in the pictures from a site member, and I'm going to pick it up Saturday. Now I did make my own cage and I've decided to buy a new one given the advice I received from my fellow forum members (much appreciated)!

So, as I'm learning much about this adorable little critter, I want to know what's the best I can do with this cage. I know they don't like ramps, or don't use them, I'm going to put marble tiles in the bottom (I have 3 sq ft, the cage is 4 ft w and 1.5 ft deep)

I do want to put a chin-hut I bought and a hide/daybed that I made in the cage ((it does have nails but he'd have to chew far and I feel that if I make sure that I watch the hide and make sure he doesn't get anywhere near close enough to expose it it'll be alright))

As far as ledges go, I'll probably buy some, but my main concern really is for now this huge cage will be housing one chin. Later on I do plan on getting an additional chinchilla, but I just want to get one for now.

Should I fill the cage with hammocks and fleece tubes, or keep it simple?

Any cage *tricks* you guys have, I've seen people put cardboard around the cage, is this for the "poo flinging" ?

This is the cage:

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

Thanks again you guys!

Also, if the ramps come out and leave the shelves in, I would like to cover them. Would this best be done with fleece? Or should I put a lot of ledges in the cage with no shelves? I don't own one ATM but I feel like he has so little floor space if there's no shelves.

Most of the other cages I have seen put wood blocks at various levels as "shelves" or at least perches. You can also put a long apple branch in there if you want as well. Biggest thing to consider is to make sure that just in case your chinchilla slips, he can't fall more than a foot or so.

I'm going to be starting the process of redesigning a cage too, so I have been eagerly looking at the other member's cages as well.

If it were me, I would either remove (depending on how difficult) or cover the wire with pine. I would take all of the ramps out as well. You can put a ledge right in the jump hole to help the chin get from one level to the other if needed. I would probably remove the lowest level of the cage in order to get a wheel in there if you are planning to have one unless after the ramp comes out there is room in between the little shelves on the lowest level. It is a huge cage, you can do a lot with it! Add lots of ledges and you have plenty of room for a fleece tube (which chins love) and some of the great accessories you have already made :). Can't wait to see how you revamp it!

I agree with Jean Marie - take out the ramps and add ledges halfway up instead. If you can't remove the shelves, get thin KD pine in the same sizes and just attach it on top of them, that will work fine. I like the shelf layout, you can fit lots of stuff in there like that. The more you put in, the less bored your chin will be! Hammocks, fleece tubes, hanging toys, hutches, etc.
I think it looks like there is enough room to fit a chin spin on that back wall at the bottom without removing any of your shelves, too.

I am really excited for you! I have read with very tall cages it is a good idea to have a hammock half way down the cage in case of a fall. I have seen this done by having two wood shelves on either side and fasten the hooks of the hammock to the shelves

good luck

If it were me, I'd take out all the ramps and shelves. I'd put a few long shelves and then put ledges too (all made of pine). Then of course since its a tall cage, a hammock or bridge in the middle to help if she falls or misses a shelf/ledge. :)

You could easily house 3-4 chins in that thing! I would put in some places that were not wire floored to give the feet a break and take out all the ramps. The wire floors will allow poo to fall through so they aren't bad but I would offer 2 hidey houses, a couple of tubes and hammocks and chew toys. I don't know that your chin would need a wheel in a house that large but you could add one.

I don't think I'll be putting a wheel in, but I do want a lot of hammocks if I take the shelves out, that's a long ways to fall from the top! I do plan on putting pine down if I don't remove the shelves, the ramps I'll definitely be taking out.

I already have 3 hides, lol, and I have a bunch of sites (thanks to this site!) to fill it up with fleece tubes and hammocks. I am considering getting two chins now that I realize how much space the little guy is going to have!

The ramps are connected with C-clips I imagine? Those wont be to hard to take out, the shelves are going to be a bit more of a pain. Personally if it was me I would just go out and purchase pine to cover the levels and only take out the smaller wire shelves.

Save yourself some work as taking out those levels can be quite a challenge but go for it and just have fun. :)

I have a cage this same style and just took out the ramps and left the shelves (but took out the big middle shelf). I bought wood "ledges" to lay across the wire but left one wire shelf uncovered. Just make sure you get something to put in the middle of the cage to prevent a nasty fall!!!

Latest posts

Back