new born baby mama

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

I have two 2 weeks old babies.
I see they sometime fight over her milk and then attack mother too.
It seems she doesn't have enough milk.?:pillowfight:
And now the one is smaller than the other but not too big difference.
I think a bigger one is clever and gets good spot!

So today I put a bottle of half water and half 100%
cranberry juice(no sugar added) and there's a bottle of water as well.
She likes and drinks it a lot, and since then babies are fine so far.

My question is how often and how long can I give her that?
Is it ok to give it everyday until she finished nursing them?

Thank you.

The real question is, what are their weights? Are they gaining? Are they suffering facial injuries (or others) due to the fighting? I am very hesitant about offering juice, even mixed with water. It often contains sugars which can cause loose stool AND has a very short "shelf life". It needs changed very frequently (someone else can offer specifics) to prevent bacteria growth which would undermine the whole thing.

If you aren't already you NEED to be weighing them. Get a gram scale. That's a starting point.

I haven't bought a gram scale yet..
They gain weight everyday.
And Mother's boobs are bigger than before.
So I'll keep doing it for now but still wonder if it's ok though.

If you haven't got a gram scale, there is no way you could actually be sure they're gaining weight. That would be my first suggestion - get a gram scale.

I personally wouldn't use any juice. Even mixed with water, and with no sugar added -- it's still juice and has natural sugars. As long as the kits are gaining and aren't causing significant injury to one another, I'd lose the juice.

Also, her "boobs" may be bigger than before due to her milk fully coming in. It's usually a gradual process that can take up to a week sometimes.

The water bottle for juice is broken.
So I'll stop giving it to mama from now since they seem to be fine.
Now the cranberry juice is mine!!:dance3:

Latest posts

Back