new baby possible diarrhea?

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

So today I was cleaning cages and decided to take Jason out for his first playtime ever. His cage looked good, poops all look good, but when I got him out his back end was pretty dirty. It has some lightish brown staining/slight matting to it. Now I interact with him daily but today was the first time I held him or brought him out.

His energy is through the roof he's drinking about 3 ounces of water and eats 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons of pellets with a sprinkle of supplements (everybodys eating the same supplements and noone else exhibits this) he gets all the hay he can eat daily as well.

I thought of some possible ideas as to what's going on but wasn't sure. We recently switched to fleece liners and he pulled up a corner he uses for pottying so we thought it could possibly be urine stains, we also ran out of timothy hay last night and only offered orchard grass we thought maybe that could have upset his tummy, we also didn't get a bunch of food from his breeder just like 3/4 of a sandwich bag (some of which spilled on my home) so we are doing a pretty quick switch to PANR we're at 50/50 now. His poops seemed great when I had him out in the bathroom they were all firm and sort of small.

I'll have to call our vet in the morning but should we be concerned if he's had no appetite or energy changes?

If you think his poops look decent now it may have been some urine staining from the fleece. Urine can sort of float on the top of fleece particularly if it hasn't been washed a few times. Perhaps he just sat in it. Pellet changes can also cause his poops to change. Are you giving acidophilus? That is the only supplement that I would put on pellets, otherwise I would give any other supplements in a separate dish so you don't create diggers. If you think his poops are loose you can try a shredded wheat square to see if it helps firm it up. I wouldn't worry unless it stays loose or you see changes in energy levels or appetite.

No we don't give the acidopholus. I meant the sprinkling of supplements I offer in my hand as a bonding treat.

I put him back in pine tonight and I found just enough dust for 1 bath so he got a bath. He seems to be cleaning the area a lot too.

Back