Neutering a male

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horslvr123

How soon does a female come into heat after having babies? And do you have to remove the male from the cage after the babies for their safety or just to prevent re-breeding?

I have a female that im 90% sure is pregnant in with another male (not the father) and im getting him neutered next month.

Im just wondering if I can leave them as a family unit if hes fixed or if he will harm the babies.

And if anyone knows of anyplace in western washington to neuter a chin for less than $185 ($125 plus pre neuter health check up of $55), let me know.

Thanks.

It's always a crapshoot when you separate a chin from another chin, if you intend to put them back. If it was me, I would get him castrated, then keep him separate until after the kits are weaned. He can't go back in right away anyhow as it could cause stitches to rip, etc. After he is healed and after the kits are weaned, then you can try and introduce the male and female again and see how it goes. There is a detailed intro thread in the FAQ's that may be of some help to you with that.

I can't help you with the vet question, though hopefully someone will come along who can.

You also have to leave them separated after the surgery not only for the reasons Peggy mentioned, but also because he will still have viable sperm until they all die off. It takes awhile, the actual amount of time isn't coming to me right now but if you do a search on neutering it has been discussed in many threads.

If I get him neutered and once hes healed and back in with the girl before shes had the babies, can I leave him in there? ( I dont know when she got bred, just that she was with a male for quite a while) These 2 have only been cagemates for about a week now and doing great...

You'll need to leave them separated for 6 weeks after the neutering. As for putting him back in with the female, I can't say. I'm not a breeder so I don't know what the consequences could/would be.

My main concern is him harming the babies.. His last home he had a mate and a baby all together.. until something got the mom and baby out of the cage.. (they lived in a barn)

Thanks for the replys..

I believe the only potential consequences of putting him back in after neutering would be similar to that of any pairing. Just watch out for not getting along and such.

Most males are really good with babies. The problem is if the sperm isn't dead, she will breedback and get pregnant again either immediately following the pregnancy, or while she is still pregnant. As you can imagine, this would take quite a toll on her body. It would be better (and safer) for both of them if you just leave them apart until after the little ones are weaned, then do an introduction.

Also, have you considered waiting until the kits are born for the castration? Maybe you'll have a girl and a boy and you can put a boy in with the male when he is weaned and leave a girl with mom. Separate the male out into his own cage and wait it out. Then no surgery would need to be done, there would be no risk of a breedback pregnancy to the female, and they would have cagemates.

I never thought of that.. Thank you Tunes.. I will have to have my husband build me another cage.. That will also help with the problem of rehoming any male babies that are born...These guys are such a pleasure, I think that might just work..

Oh, and another question.. just because some of you are reading this.. Is there any kind of "natural" vegetation that is good for chins on a treat basis that wont make them get to chubby?? The female Ive got loves treats so much, i think I can train her to jump thru hoops of fire for a raisin...Id like to find something better for a treat...

Thanks again..

Good choice on getting rid of the raisins. They are really unhealthy for a chin because they are loaded with sugar. There are several things you can offer. A dried rosehip, organic rosebud, a cheerio now and again, a bite sized nonsugared shredded wheat, a pinch of old fashioned oats, or a piece of chin safe wood. Chins think that wood IS a treat, and it's really good for them because it helps to keep their worn down.

Where can I get rosehips? I have never seen them in the petstores I frequent... and I dont have any roses.. at least not at this time of year...Ive got apple trees that ive been pulling small twigs from and they love them..

You can usually buy them from members on here, or in natural herb and tea shops that sell different sorts of "scratch" tea materials. Not bagged tea, but the herbs to make teas yourself.

Also, make sure your apple tree is pesticide free, and you should be preparing it (scrubbing and baking) before giving it to them.

You can get rosehips at a health food store and the rosebuds need to be organic. There is someone on here who sells them in the classifieds. His user name is Randy-Chin I believe.

As far as the apple branches, they need to be completely pesticide free, then they need to be boiled, scrubbed, and baked before they are safe for consumption. The green (fresh) branches can be dangerous for your chin, so I just want you to be sure they are properly prepared before you offer them.

Well, I know the apple trees are pesticide free.. but I didnt know about baking them.. Guess I will be doing that tomorrow...

The heck with baking an apple pie.. im gonna bake an apple branch.. LOL

On a side note- I just want to throw out my experience with a male not related to the pregnant mom's kit. I have had a mom deliver a kit that did not belong to her new male cage mate. I did not know she was pregnant (she was a large female). Anyhow, mom delivered while I was at work-that particular male pulled that kit into the run and mauled him to death. Males are normally good with kits but ever since my experience with that and the gruesome site I saw, males whose females litter another male's offspring get seperated as soon as I know they are pregnant.

Back