neutered question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iluvmychins

It has been three weeks, and my males area looks like it gas a ball under it, and it is hard as rock. I also see some of the stitch coming out. I am going to take to the vet tomorrow, but is the hard ball normal? How long does it take to look normal again, or does it? Thank you!

everything is fine

I went to a new vet today. I like her. I guess she is known world wid for her books and siminars about chinchillas. Anyways, she said the hard ball like area I was worried about was sutures under the skin. She also said I should start adding more greens into his diet? I have heard so many things about this, good and bad. I kind of question it. She said it is very good for them though. He is alittle low on weight though, but hasnt changed since last week. he is sitting at 488 grams, which before the surgery he was 550. happy things look ok!

Your chins has lost 62 grams since he was neutered three weeks ago? That is not normal and the 'world wide' vet should have told you that. One thing I have learned over the years with vets, being well known or a self proclaimed expert does not always make a knowledgeable vet.

Depending on what surtures were used, yes it can take time for them to dissolve. The hard mass should not be that large though.

I would not feed your chin greens if she is referring to fresh veggies. You take a large risk of him getting bloat. You need to see why he has not gained weight back after this length of time after the surgery.

I am sorry, I guess I didnt post that right. He has been gaining. He had lost over 100 grams after surgery. He was very bad. THey almost hooked him up to a feeding tube. This week he has not gained anything though. That was one of my concerns, on top of the ball like area.

SHe is known world wide for her books and seminars on chinchillas? What books has she written? What is her name so we can look them up? Who said she was known that well?

WHen I hear a vet or someone say stuff like that I question the "authenticity" of their claim. I have gone to our regional library and the library of congress on here looking for books. Not finding alot.

I know some chins can be more sensitve than others, but if your poor chin lost 100 grams after being neutered then this vet did something VERY wrong. Please know that is not normal and he must have been very sick to have lost that amount of weight. That in itself would make me find another vet and I highly recommend you do the same. If this vet is being casual about a large weight loss like that, then she is covering for her own bad medicine and she is not chinchilla knowledgeable

OH, no no no. This is my new vet as of yesterday. The first vet was the one that did the surgery and was not concerned at all. That is why I went to a new one who is now two hours from me. I thought since she is well known it would be good to go to her. I didnt care about the extra drive. She was concerned for his weight, but glad he was gaining since surgery. Just concerned that he hasnt gained this week. Also started him on gas medicine. The old vet wasnt concerned at all and acted like I was just way to over protective. She (the new one) was the one who wanted me to start on fresh greens (lettuce). That was the only thing I questioned about her. Everything else set my mind better compared to the last vet. She really cared, and answered all of my questions. Didnt shove me out the door. Her name is Dr. Teresa Bradley Bays (new one). I found her out by some other chinchilla owners in the area. They ere the ones who told me she did siminars and had a book. I dont know what it is called.

her book is.. Exotic Pet Behavior: Birds, Reptiles, and Small Mammals

Oh ok, I'm very happy you no longer see the first vet. If you don't mind, would you drop me a pm or email and give me the name of the first vet you used and what state you are in. I am not looking to publish it, but many people ask me about chin vets and if there is one they should avoid, I like to keep a note of that in my records.

Back