Neutered boys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chikachulove

I am looking into adopting three older boys from a rescue who claim to be neutered. I was just wondering whether they still are at a risk of getting fur ring even if neutered.
Thanks!

Being neutered doesn't prevent hair rings, it really depends on the chin if they get them or not. I have one male I have to clean monthly cause he's just that way. I have one other I have had for 8 yrs and he has never had a hair ring. I would check your boys routinely just to be safe.

i usually try to loosen the hair ring by rubbing gently on the hair ring, then when it's loose enough, i just pull it off. rutherford has been really good about hair ring checks; no fuss! i wouldn't risk snipping the hair ring in case your chinchilla flinch or something! don't want to snip off their precious goodies...

They not only get hair rings, they get hay rings, bedding rings, twig rings, who knows what that is rings...........

They not only get hair rings, they get hay rings, bedding rings, twig rings, who knows what that is rings...........

0.o how would they get a twig ring? i can understand the others but a twig?
owww. that would hurt

at original poster
if im not mistaken hair rings form on the chins penis so nutering them (ball removal) wouldnt effect getting hair rings.

honestly i would feel really weird to remove a hair ring. Im rather glad i have female chins.

0.o how would they get a twig ring? i can understand the others but a twig?
owww. that would hurt.

When the little guy's penis is out for any reason, items such as hair, fibers from fleece, small pieces of bedding, hay or small twigs can stick to it and be brought back in when the penis retracts. The debris can accumulate and form a ring around the penis.

Back