Nervous About New Window

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
Question.

Handbag's cage is in the same place as its always been but due to a recent remodel, he now has an operable window with a view of the world behind his cage. Prior to the remodel the window did not open and was covered in stained glass so you really couldn't see out of it.

I thought he was would be thrilled by this new view of the world, but he seems a little frightened. It's not a loud neighborhood but has some wild parrots that occasionally cruise through the neighborhood making quite a racket.

He's very curious, but spooks and heads down to the lower level where he can't see out and back to his hidey hut when he stays up on the top level too long or hears something new.

It is a beautiful evening and we have a fantastic light breeze, although not blowing on him. Should I close the window first so he can only see out but not hear many noises? Or just leave it open for a few hours to give him an opportunity to explore this new thing? Or is this not something he will benefit from at all.

I don't want him to be stressed out because of it.

Annie

60f6eb4d.jpg

d8277b20.jpg

I think given time Handbag will realize the new window isn't something that can harm him. Right now it's different and therefore a little confusing to him.

I would only have the window open for short periods of time, so he can get used to things gradually.

I thought he was getting that lovely clematis stained glass covering on his window. I think that will help in the long run and help him feel safe most of the time, especially when you're not home.

I thought he was getting that lovely clematis stained glass covering on his window. I think that will help in the long run and help him feel safe most of the time, especially when you're not home.

Yes, I will be putting that on, I just haven't done it yet. But I did remove the window covering today so he is a bit "exposed" for the next few days. I think I will put something up before work tomorrow so he isn't alone with his new view until I can get the clematis up.

So after a couple days of nervous exploration of all his new sights and sounds, Handbag has taken quite a liking to his new view of the world. He even joined the Neighborhood Watch community. :)

5a535a68.jpg

Puhleeze, all I have to do is put some designer shoes on the porch, ring the doorbell and I will have the rest of the night to steal him! :yes:

Back