Nervous about Introducing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
So, I have the opportunity to get a new male chin, who is almost the exact same age as my current chin, Buddha. I have another cage ready if they don't get along, but I am really wanting to only have one cage, and for them to be housed together (if possible). I am just really nervous about introducing them for two reasons. One: Obviously I'm nervous about them not getting along, and not being able to be housed together, which also means no shared play times, etc. Two: If Buddha gets a friend (and they end up getting along), will Buddha not be as attached/friendly to me? He is really friendly to me now and loves to be held/carried around in my hands and on my shoulder, and I would hate to lose that with him. Any experience/thoughts on this?
Also, I have about 2 hours to decide. That's when I would have to go pick up the new chin.

There is no guarentee if chins will or won't get along. Some do, some don't and some do for a while and change their minds. At that age I would think he would be fine with a cagemate if you take the time to intro properly. Having more than one chin does not make them less people friendly. If he is very people oriented now he will with another chin as well.

There is no guarentee if chins will or won't get along. Some do, some don't and some do for a while and change their minds. At that age I would think he would be fine with a cagemate if you take the time to intro properly. Having more than one chin does not make them less people friendly. If he is very people oriented now he will with another chin as well.

I'm glad that you think he won't lose his "people friendly" traits. I was just worried that he would not "depend" on me as much socially. :/
Also, that still scares me about them not getting along! I have heard a few stories on here about how a bonded pair will get along great for years and then just one day out of the blue, turn on eachother! :(

They are like peopl. Some people stay married for a million years and others only last a year ortwo. It just depends on the chin. I've had to split pairs, I've had chins kill a cage mate, and I've had pairs together 10 plus years. As along as you know that's a possibility I wouldn't dwell on it. No reason to give it bad vibes before you even try.

Well, I got the new chin. He's so cute :) Right now I have them set up in separate cages, about 3 inches apart. They sniff at each other, but so far no noises from either of them. My original chin Buddha is running and jumping around his cage like crazy, trying to get as close as he can to the new chin. For the most part, they sit next to each other (in their separate cages) with their backs facing each other. The new chin is pretty timid, being his first night here, but he sniffs my hand, and occasionally lets me scratch behind his ears. He eats pellets and wood sticks out of my hand. He let me hold him at the original owner's house, but since bringing him home, he is too scared to let me hold him. He doesn't jump away, but he just doesn't feel comfortable in my hands yet. He hasn't pooped very much at all yet, but I'll see what his cage looks like in the morning :) I know they should stay in their separate cages for about a week or so. Any other tips that might help introducing them?

New chins should be quarantined from each other. That means separate rooms for at least a month to make sure the new chin doesn't have anything. The stress of moving to a new place can cause an illness that had be laying low to suddenly surface.

Latest posts

Back