Needs more weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

Lately I been noticing the one of my chinchillas maybe should be putting on more weight. She is quite skinny, and you can feel her bones. She was always quite skinny when we first got her so maybe she is the way she is. But lately I've been thinking of maybe helping her put more weight on her.

What's a healthy way to put on more weight on a chinchilla?

I've seen things like

Alfalfa rings

http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/343584/300.JPG

Alfalfa cookies

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/med...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/meadow-hay-cookies.jpg

Alfalfa Slims

http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-cas01//300/7103038.jpg

I'm not sure if they help, but I've seen both before in the store. I've heard the cookies are fatty and shouldn't be giving too often. Anyone have any experience giving these to their chinchillas?

I also heard of Enervite its some kind of supplement for dogs. But giving them a pea sized blob can be given 2-3 times a week or even every day if the chin is very poorly. Not sure if this helps or is good either.

I didn't want to make a chance if this would harm any of them. Thanks again for your time.

When I first got Bella she was quite skinny to begin with, still is quite skinny. Was thinking a little weight would help a bit more. She currently weighs 494. She also was a mom. We didn't know until she gave birth. The previous owners wouldn't have known anyway.

Moxxi her sister which is younger then her she weighs 647. She is a big chinchilla, and a greedy eater too.

Kisses is the daughter of Bella she weighs 562.

Kai is the son of Bella he weighs 549.

They eat selective chinchilla food, with a mix of Nature's Touch Chinchilla. They eat Excel Dandelion & Marigold Herbage Timothy Hay. Their water is nothing special.

But I'm not sure why Bella is so skinny compared to her babies/sister. Is it from the way she was brought up with her previous owner? She might have not eaten the nutritious food that is now available.

I did pick up Woodlands Alfalfa Cubes thinking it would boost up her weight it might have done a little bit, but I can't remember what she's previously weighed at when at the vets. But I think close to the amount she weighs now.

Last edited:
Since you don't know what size the father is I wouldn't be so quick to assume she needs to gain weight. Its possible she is just tiny. If she is eating, pooping, and acting normal I wouldn't worry.

Chins can get heart disease from being over weight just like humans, packing on pounds on a chin who is naturally small will cause health issues. I agree if she is eating, drinking, pooing and is active, let her be, she is just a tiny chin. My tiny chin was only 470-490 and lived till he was 17, would have lived longer except there was a vet accident.

Back