Need some opinions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

I have a 3 week old kit that Ihave had to sseparate from his mother. She has plenty of milk, he weighs 151 grams. But he has been very rough on her nipples and has caused sores. She bit him today and caused a cut on his lip and above his nose. I have started handfeeding, and he also is eating hay and pellets well. My question is, should I put him with my "dry nurse" female (she has kept babies warm and cleaned for me many times before when I have had to hand feed) or should I put him with a male kit I just weaned? Also, should I let him back with his mother, with supervision?Any tips on what I can do for the mother? I have cleaned her nipples and put bag balm on them, should I do anything else?

Hi, Narciccus,
Hope you are doing fine other than this. I would personally not put him back in with mom. I've had moms that were great moms before and with certain kits, they've just lost it and went after it. If he's cut, Veterycin is great for treating that. There's an eye gel and a spray, both over the counter at pet stores and will heal those up in a day or two. I'd put him with the dry nurse, she'll comfort him and clean him. The boys would do fine, but you don't know for sure and he's been through a lot already. Good luck with the hand feeding, we just had quads so I'll be up watching the late shows for a few months.

oh WOW! Good luck with the quads! He has been with the dry nurse for a couple of hours, she is happy to have him... he isnt so impressed. I figure maybe tonight I will let him and the 8 week old kit have a "play date" while im feeding to see how that goes. Momma has plenty of milk, but the little bugger is just very agressive. I've fed him four times already and every time I do, he freaks out biting my fingers while I'm filling the syringe. so I can only imagine what he is doing to his momma's nipples.

I know that even after Czarina was separated from her mom for 3 weeks, she still tried to nurse when they were reintroduced, so I wouldn't put him back. Poor mom might get scars! Also, I'd worry if he tries to nurse on the dry nurse. =s

I've been hand feeding, and he is drinking milk from a water bottle. he has warmed up to his dry nurse and she is keeping him warm and cleaned... his nose and mouth are looking much better. Although, he looks like he has a clef palet now.....

Latest posts

Back