Need some chinchilla expert advice on my sick Pip

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipandChipMom

Hey everyone,
Last Thursday I notice my chinchilla Pip(2 1/2 years old) was having a hard time breathing, it almost sounded like she was snoring. Then she would cough or sneeze when she got too active. So the first thing I did was call an emergency vet from a number listed on this forum. She said it was probably just an UPI and to separate her from my other chinchilla and then bring her in the next day. I looked up UPIs and she did have the symptom of not breathing right, but no discharge from her eyes or nose.

At the vets they noticed she was doing open mouth breathing, which caused them great concern and they said she was showing signs of heart failure. They took some x-rays which showed she has an enlarged heart and fluid in her lungs.

she's been there since friday and they're still trying to figure out what exactly is wrong. She is in an oxygen tank and every time she gets taken out she starts with the open mouth breathing.

She also has been given some antibiotics for a possible infection or bronchitis.

Last night they said if she didn't improve we would have to put her down this morning. I was devastated last night and couldn't even try to fall asleep without crying.

I got a call this morning saying that she was eating on her own and starting to produce stool, yet still having trouble breathing out of the tank.

Right now the vet says she wants to ween her off the oxygen and go from there.

At this point I really don't know what's wrong with her, I mean I trust her vet completely because they're an exoctics speciality. But i'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with something like this. I don't want to even think about putting her down until I've asked all the right questions and tried everything I could without putting Pip in further distress.

Any advice would help because I can't stand the thought of losing her without knowing I did my best.

Thanks....

Thanks for replying. I asked the vet and she said since there's no discharge around the nose and since her lungs have a good amount of liquid then they have ruled out nasal blockage. She says its mostly pulmonary edema. Tomorrow they are going to do an echo to see if her heart is failing causing the fluid in her lungs or if it is an infection like pneumonia or bronchitis. If it's the first then we'll have to put her down and if its the infection hopefully she can get better with antibiotics but I think shell still have the whole enlarged heart problem. They tried to week her off the oxygen but pretty much as expected she didn't do well. So the echo tomorrow if she hasn't declined...

Sounds like she is in congestive heart failure most likely from a serious murmur. The chin should be put on lasix to reduce the fluid in the lungs and around the heart, lisinopril to dilate the blood vessels and electrolytes for the loss of fluid. This condition can be treated successfully with drugs with very few side effects. The chin would be put on a low protein and fat diet-meaning timothy pellet and light excercise. Chins with congestive heart failure show symtoms of URIs but without the nasal discharge, the coughing is from the fluid in the lungs and lethargy from the heart not pumping effectively. If the chin was a pink white, you would notice a blue tinge to the ears and lips.

I have no advice for you, but I'd just like to let you know that I'm thinking and praying for your little guy to make it.

I've lost one, too.

Sounds like she is in congestive heart failure most likely from a serious murmur. The chin should be put on lasix to reduce the fluid in the lungs and around the heart, lisinopril to dilate the blood vessels and electrolytes for the loss of fluid. This condition can be treated successfully with drugs with very few side effects. The chin would be put on a low protein and fat diet-meaning timothy pellet and light excercise. Chins with congestive heart failure show symtoms of URIs but without the nasal discharge, the coughing is from the fluid in the lungs and lethargy from the heart not pumping effectively. If the chin was a pink white, you would notice a blue tinge to the ears and lips.

Thanks for all the info! I know she has been on lasixs since Friday, and I'm guessing its not working since she's still struggling to breathe on her own. They tried to ween her off yesterday with no good results. So this morning's agenda is to get her an echo to finally see if its her heart failing or if she has an infection. If its the infection like pneumonia hopefully it can be treated, if her heart is failing I guess i'll ask about the medicines you suggested but I'm assuming since the lasix isn't working then I'll ultimately have to put her down.

I'm going to visit her today so we shall see what the results are...

I would get her on the lisinopril also, the heart won't have to pump as hard while she is stabilized. The vet can increase to dosage of the lasix to the maximum level to reduce the fluids then taper down to a level of maintenance.

Latest posts

Back