Need some brainstorming help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
I'd love to get a brainstorm going to see if I can figure out what's going on with Lady. I apologize but it's a complicated issue:

Winter 2011:
-Lady stopped drinking out of a water bottle, stopped eating oxbow pellets, stopped eating timothy hay. Became constipated, bloated, and went into stasis
-We pulled her out of stasis and treated the bloat. Oral exams, xrays, fecal tests, blood work, and ultrasound could not diagnose the root of the issue.
-We began testing different pellets, Lady either refused to eat them or they caused her to bloat.
-As a last ditch effort I switched her to Beaphar. She ate the food and did well on it.

2011-2014
-She'll go through periodic episodes of not eating, constipation, hard stomach. I treat her at home with simethicone, feeding hay only, adding alfalfa to the diet. It usually clears up in 2-3 days.

August 2014
-We move from Ohio to South Carolina
-food stays the same, water is a different 'brand' but it's still manufactured by Nestle Waters
-Housing conditions are as close to what they were in Ohio as I can make them, lighting, ventilation, sounds, etc... Humidity is 60% instead of 50%.

October 2014
-Lady goes off her feed again, gets very constipated. This time around pellets are crumbled and scattered throughout cage.
-Vet does thorough oral exam and xrays, everything checks out
-I've been treating with 10ml critical care 2x a day and .4ml metaclopromide 2x a day for the last month. She gets better on this regiment and starts to eat both hay and pellets (2 tbsp.) along with the critical care. Every time I start to slowly wean her off the critical care she starts to get constipated (and stops eating on her own). I can get her down to 5ml cc 1x per day and she's still on the metaclopromide 2x a day. Every time I go back to the vet they tell me to up the handfeeding and wean her at a slower rate (we've done this 3x with the same result).

On Saturday she developed a watery right eye, I've flushed it with artificial tears, but it's getting worse. Today her left eye started watering so I brought her back to the vet. They don't see any corneal abrasions and don't want to put her on antibiotics because they're concerned that antibiotics plus metaclopromide will cause more stomach issues. The vet down here doesn't see a lot of chinchillas so I called my old vet in Cincinnati. He reviewed the xrays and agrees that her teeth/roots look fine. He's recommending that I request sub-q fluids and a full body xray, which I will do. He also said if it doesn't clear up we should do fresh blood work and see if anything has changed in four years.

I know we still need to do some more testing, but I'm preparing myself for the fact that they may be inconclusive like they were four years ago. Last time around the only thing that worked was switching her to beaphar, now that she's not eating the beaphar I don't know what else we can try. Has anyone dealt with any less common conditions that we should consider if these tests come back normal? I remember that someone (Dawn maybe?) had chins with gluten or wheat issues? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Sorry you're still having a rough time with Lady :( Could you post the recent x-rays? (and old ones if you have them?)

Chinchillas can become wheat intolerant and as the issue progresses untreated the digestive tract can suffer permanent damage, my vet has seen it a few times. I had two, a father and son, along with another owner who had the sisters and mother, the sisters-3 of them, all had chronic digestive issues along with my boys, the father developed a elongated tumor in the lower digestive tract, the son developed scar tissue, both digestive tracts died confimed with a ultrasound. You can try a alfalfa only pellet and timmy hay only to see if it relieves symptoms, it did in mine but the damage was done by the time there was a diagnosis.

Ignore the date on the 2014 xray, I didn't even own her in 2008. The quality of the two images is so different, I don't have enough experience with reading these things.

UPDATE: Ugh they don't seem to be posting. Stacie I can try to send them to you on facebook.

Last edited:
Attempt #2

Do you know of any brands of pellets that don't contain wheat? If I need to explore the diet option?

Attachments

• Lady 2011.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 69
  • Lady 2014.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'll see if I can get the images to work...

Older:
28am0dk.jpg

Recent:
erin1w.jpg

Something looks odd on the occlusal surface (the biting surface) that may just be a poor quality reprint of the x-ray, here is a normal x-ray, you don't see the strange horizontal band that parallels the biting surface on the recent x-ray.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I felt relieved when the vet said the teeth looked fine and now my stomach is in knots again. I have two other views, but they're not as clear as the one that I sent to Stacie. I called the vet today and they have recommended that I get a second opinion with an avian and exotics vet. I have an appointment set up for Monday, but I'm not thrilled seeing as it appears like they mostly focus on birds. Not sure how I feel about a vet whose website says that chinchillas MUST be spayed to prevent tumors and cancer :/ I'm trying to keep an open mind.

In your opinion do the roots look like they could be affecting her eye, or is the image too difficult to read?

http://birdsandexotics.com/mammals/

The upper first molar does appear to have some elongation to block the lacrimal duct, but the image is not good enough for me to say for sure. In my experience elongation without malocclusion does not cause eating issues until advanced, the elongation does not look advanced to me, you may have two issues since elongation is often silent except for repeated eye infections/watery eyes.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice (especially Dawn & Stacie). I'm sorry that I didn't post an update, but it's been too painful to discuss until recently.

In December I found a vet who was able to diagnose root elongation. I had suspected teeth issues for awhile, but felt so hopeful when the first vet said her teeth were ok. I put Lady down in December, and it's been too difficult to talk about until recently. She was my closest companion through so many important stages of my life, and it's still hard to accept that she's gone.

Thank you again to everyone who offered advice, and please accept my apologies for not updating you sooner.

I am so sorry this had to happen, you did the kindest thing a situation like this calls for. RIP Lady.

I was sad to read this . You made a very hard decision but you made it with pure heartfelt love. The most wonderful gift that can be given. God bless you and Lady. You will be together again in God's time.

I am so sorry Brittany. I totally feel your pain. I too had to make the awful decision to let my Gadget go in December due to root elongation. Although I know I did what was best for her, my heart is broken.

Back