Need opinions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostongirl'sChin75

Stephanie: Zoo Poo Gal!
Okay guys, I need some help and some opinions with this. I have a standard gray chin, Herby who has malo and has to go in for filings for every few months. Herby's last one was at the beginning of August and she has been doing very well since then. She did not lose a bunch of weight, just a few grams is all, this time around because I caught her before the dramatic weight loss could happen. I only had to hand feed for a day, as she was eating normally on her own within a day.
This morning, as I was going around saying hello and checking food and water levels, I noticed she was drooling green drool. It was not the large amounts of drool that she often has when her teeth are causing problems, but just a drop that was stuck on her upper lip, almost like a spit bubble. She is eating normally, and has been eating her hay and hay blocks, which she had just got done chewing on when I noticed the spit bubble. Her poop looks okay and there is plenty of it all over her cage. And she is very high spirited and still very active. She ran to the cage bars when I opened her cage door. And also, when she is having tooth problems, her breath will stink like someone who has not brushed their teeth in a few days. her breath was fine this morning, as I picked her up and she gave me kisses and nibbled on my nose a bit.
My questions are this: Should I call and make her an appointment for today or do you think it could wait for the first earliest appointment they have? ( does that make sense? )
And does anyone have any opinions or ideas as to what it may be?

I would check her a few times today-rub your finger across her lips and pull the lips
up and down and look at the incisors and gums-if there is any moisture she is getting ready to be filed again.

I just got back from getting groceries and went to check on Herby and her mouth is dry, under her chin is dry and her front paws are dry. But I will continue to monitor her throughout the day to see if she stays that way. If she doesn't I will call the vet and get her in.
I am hoping it was that she had taken a drink right after she ate some hay, like Mishellyshel asked..She is eating the last bit of Kaytee hay that I had to buy until my hay order came in and I have read that they dye their hay. I am wondering if that may be the culprit. Any thoughts on that?
But I am definitely going to be keeping a watch on her for the next few days though!

i don't know 100% if they dye the hay but it sure is green! You can do a bit of a home test though.......get a white paper towel and get it damp and rub a bit of hay on it. see if any of the color wears off???? At least that is what I would do. And of course since you know she has malo.......continue to keep a close eye on her.

Thanks Mishellyshel! I will have to do that and you are right, that is some green hay! Ive seen hay before it becomes hay and it is never that green!
I am sure about one thing though, Herby is surely plotting her revenge for me going in the chin room and poking her and waking her up to check her mouth and teeth! I may have to start sleeping with one eye open!

i recomend switching from kaytee to oxbox hay. its a fresher and ive heard of people finding grasshoppers in the kaytee hay

Hay is a natural product, you can find bugs in any brand of hay. Kaytee is fine if the chin eats it, the best hay for any chin is then hay they will eat.
Mine HATE oxbow hay, no matter what type or cut.

i recomend switching from kaytee to oxbox hay. its a fresher and ive heard of people finding grasshoppers in the kaytee hay

I usually do, or I order it from Kleenmamas or another farmer. I was waiting on my shipment to come in and ran out before it did. I was sick and did not feel like running an hour away to Petsmart to get Oxbow, so I had t go to a local pet store and all they had was Kaytee. I hate the stuff but it was hay and Herby needs the loose hay as she only nibbles on the cubes I give her.

And I have also found dead mouse parts in the Oxbow..unfortunately it is a by product of the cutting of the hay!:vomit:

Latest posts

Back