Need opinions on sex please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillybabe

Okay so I was wandering YouTube, I know it's a bad habit and I came across this chinchilla video. I think the female chin in it is truly a male, however, I am far from a sexing expert. I sexed my girls just for giggles. I knew the breeder would have them correct but I wanted to double check on my own. In this video the underside is flashed quickly at about 3:35 in. It looks too far apart for a female to me and like it sticks out a bit too much. I plan to warn them if their chin is truly a male as the chin is currently being housed with it's mother. I just worry they may end up with a pregnant chin if I am correct.

The video is here: http://youtu.be/CJ0emb-0E9w

Also, does it look like the chin is a bit... scruffy? It looks like she/he may be fur chewing to me or just badly handled/dusted infrequently. I am not an expert at spotting fur chewers either but this ones fur looks way messed up. My little malo guy didn't look this bad after a night at the vet and a day of handfeeding. Thanks for your help.

Looks like a male in the nanosecond that I could see the genitalia. Looks like they are feeding her cauliflower maybe?

Your post will most likely be deleted or just ignored, but at least you tried. If you can edit it, I would consider giving her a link to CnH.

I'll probably try messaging her privately. Sometimes people are more receptive when I do that. I've had a few good responses and a few people even thank me for being nosey. If it saves even one chin's life it's worth it to me for all the hate and nastiness. Plus, it's possible even if they are hateful to me my comments will make them look into things or second guess their bad decisions. From the video it looks like the chin is badly handled to me.

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions! I actually got a reply through private message on YouTube. After a few messages I convinced her to have her mother double check. Mom's not sure either. I offered to provide them with links and such if they would like them. Also the girl said she would be having her mom take her to the vet. Typically I wouldn't recommend a vet visit without some sort of known problem but this chin in my opinion looks like it could use one for more than just a sex check. Hopefully she'll separate them promptly. As far as feeding... they feed her a piece of apple in the video. I think the cage is also tiny. From what I can see of it in the background it kind of looks like a large bunny cage or even a dog kennel. Definitely a lot of things could be going better for this chin. I've found though a couple of pieces of advice at a time usually earns me friends. I have a few that ask me questions now. If she seems to want to chat more I'll offer other advice. Part of the issue is she says she's 12 and so any changes I recommend aren't going to happen unless the parents buy into them as well. Unfortunately many people assume chins are like bunnies and don't put much time or effort into learning about them or caring for them.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel super bad for this chin?

Im sure these kids mean well and love their chin but my gosh!

I agree, for the split second, it looks like a male. I may check a second time, but my first thought was male when I saw it.

Death ball....no good. And I agree, they should not house the potential "son" with it's mother.

I think my jaw hit the floor and stayed there through the entire length of this video. When she says they can eat any kind of fruit or raisins etc.....not a good diet for a chinnie. She does say to feed small pieces....but then goes to explain it's because they have small mouths.....

I just wish people would educate themselves before looking into the more exotic pets. Just because they are sold at pet stores doesn't mean they are easy to care for like a mouse or hamster.

I just wish people would educate themselves before looking into the more exotic pets. Just because they are sold at pet stores doesn't mean they are easy to care for like a mouse or hamster.

I wish people would educate themselves with every pet, whether it be a hamster or a horse. So many times I see people making honest mistakes but not listening to helpful advice when given.

I'm very glad you got a message back from her, Lillybabe! I love to see people helping each other and passing helpful advice to each other! :thumbsup:

Back