Need opinion on X-rays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obcsed

I took a chin to the vet today because she has been loosing weight and squeaking when she tries to eat. The oral exam under sedation found nothing. Her teeth are straight and evenly worn. So he did some X-rays. I've seen overgrown roots before but the stuff going on in her lower jaws is new to me. Any opinions are welcome. My vet is clueless. (hope someone can see the attachments)

Attachments

• 1322_5895_20140623155153.0.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 65
  • 1322_5896_20140623155550.0.JPG
    1322_5896_20140623155550.0.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1322_5897_20140623155719.0.JPG
    1322_5897_20140623155719.0.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 37
Oh boy, I hate to be a downer, but that is advanced elongation with penetration out the lower jaw bone, the uppers are also elongated, in my opinion based on past experience with my own animals. The second x-ray-the lower front molar behind the incisor looks like a large infection with reabsorbtion of the root, I would guess that tooth is loose and would fall out. It also looks like there is some infection with the adjacent teeth or it could just be a large infection. I would guess this chin was a pellet hog and ate little hay? You usually see this with those type, advance elongation without malocclusion. Also, what I am seeing could also be a fracture that has developed a infection, when the lower teeth elongate to the point of penetration out the lower jaw bone, fractures are common.

Thanks. I knew it was bad when I saw it but couldn't figure out what I was seeing. This chin came to me as a surrender a little over a year ago. She was significantly under weight at that time. She went from 565 grams to over a 1000 grams in a matter of about six months. I do not know what she had been eating before I got her but she seemed to eat normal amounts of both pellets and hay while she has been here. She also was an avid chewer. She is no longer doing either and I'm hand feeding her. Orally, her teeth look perfect and none are loose. Guess it is time for that hard decision to be made.

Elongation without malocclusion is scarey because symptoms don't show up until advanced, my one chin died and was over 1100 grams, from symptoms to death by infection in weeks from the onset.

Latest posts

Back