Need ideas: chin hates handling. Lives in top of FN 142.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
If I can't figure out a safe way to get Crash into and out of his new cage, I'm afraid he's not going to be able to have playtime.

The problem is that he hates being picked up, so any time he's in an open area, he's nearly impossible to catch. Usually, he has playtime in a small section of my room blocked off with cardboard 4' tall. Tonight he gate-busted past me and ran around until just a couple minutes ago (He's usually back in his cage by 10:30, it's 1:45 now). I only caught him then b/c he knocked a piece of cardboard over himself and I was able to scoop him up and fight for the hold on his tail. The only way he can be carried anywhere is the tail dangle method. Once you've got his tail, he fights to get free unless you stand still. A couple of times, he's kicked at the same time he's bitten and jerked himself free of the tail hold (on my ex). I think those couple of successes taught him that he just has to fight hard enough and he can get loose. I'm just tired of the fight, and sitting up at almost 2AM when I have to be at work in 5 hrs. because my chinchilla doesn't trust me. (Though, he's always been like this. Had a 3 hr. romp around his rescuer's basement as an 8 week old kit with the exact same M.O.: charge the door, hide, and outrun the humans as long as possible.)

He used to live in a Quality Cage condo; I am not pleased with how it held up to 3 years of use. So, I bought the Ferret Nation because it's larger and safer than the QC; but, the only time playtime being over hasn't involved this exact same fight was while his Quality Cage was directly on the floor. I don't want to have to go back to the old cage, esp. since I promised it to someone once I can transport/ship it. There has to be a way to make in and out for playtime work with the new cage.

Has anyone built a ramp or set of steps for the top half of a FN? The bottom half was going to be for his new potential roommate, in part b/c I want it empty while I train the cats away from it. But even if I move him down to the lower half, there's still the 12" rise from the floor to get him past, and he won't tolerate being picked up without 3.5 hrs of fighting every... single... time. :cry3:

I'm exhausted, and out of ideas. Any suggestions?

I have seen places that sell outside ramps for the bottom of the FN. If you go that route, you should probably wrap it in fleece to keep your chinnies toes safe.

Here is a link to one site.
http://www.ferret.com/item/exterior-ramp-for-ferret-nation-141-and-142/651096/

Also, do you have a closed container for your chinnies dusting? If so, then put it out of the cage during playtime. Once you deem his playtime over and he decides to hop in for another bath then just cup your hand over the front (or place something in front to avoid nibbles) and voila! Some have mentioned that their smarties figure this out with time. But it still works for me.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
At Lowes they sell this type of flexable pipe. This was best link I could find. Maybe if you print it out and bring it there they'll know what you are talking about. I think it comes in a 6 inch diameter, this link is a 4 inch one. They come with or without drainage holes built in, it doesn't matter. But you will need to make a fleece sleeve to slip it into that will cover both the inside and outside and comes off for easy washing. You can cut the length down from 10 feet if you want, and I would let him play with it on the floor, then when it's time to go to the cage hold it or attach it so he just runs straight inside his home
http://doitbest.com/Rubber+hoses+an...nage+Sy-model-454-010-doitbest-sku-407445.dib

I have a few that do not like to be taken out of their cage. The 2 "arlington" boys must not have been handled much and although i have had them since january, they still will not really come to me, so i need to grab them for playtime. they allow it but often emit that fear smell. klinger is still a little skittish, for him in order to maintain his trust i find it easier to grab his whole house while he is in it and move it to the play pen.
when they are in the playpen i have some pvc pipe and also a capri sun box that they can run thru. usually to get them back, i wait until they run in either and cover the open end & carry they back.
my smartest boy, Zucca, all i have to do is tap his dust bath and he jumps in and i carry him that way. most of the others i do the pvc pipe trick with and a few just jump into my arms!
personally, with a chin with that history i am not sure that they would use the ramp. you need to come up with something else. i find the house thing works great. are you using a wooden house?? you obviously need one that has a bottom to it, which most of mine do.

I have a pair of rescue girls on the top floor of one of my FN's. To get them out for play time (when they don't go kamakaziing out the door) I put a carrier in the cage and let them climb in. Then I take it out and set it on the floor. Zula is really good about it because she loves play time. Cora only goes in sometimes. If she doesn't go in the carrier she just doesn't get play time.

When I first got Freya and she didn't like being handled for long enough to get her from her cage to the bathroom, I used a cardboard box to transport her from cage to playtime. I just put my hand over the opening, or got another piece of cardboard, and I kept it in the bathroom with her. When it was time for her to go back to the cage, shooing her into a safe little hidey-hole was a lot easier than trying to chase her around and catch her.

I still sometimes use the box to get her back into the cage after playtime.

Unfortunately neither his hide nor his dust bowl (I use a fish bowl) work. Like I said, the second he sees my hands start to move, he books, b/c he knows that me moving = getting picked up and carried. I spent a good half an hour last night trying to clap a hand over the dust bath while he was in there with no luck. I'll definitely try to find a cardboard box or something in the mean time, and I'm definitely looking into those ramps.

Now, it's back to the trust training all over again, standing at the cage with oats for half an hour at a time. Fifth time's the charm? :whacko:

Thanks for the input, everyone. :smile2:

I have used the dust bowl trick and when they ran when they saw me move I tricked him next time by putting a little fleece throw blanket over everything except the entrance hole. He never saw me coming. GOTCHA!

Back