Need help with Male chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

I bought a chinchilla about a month ago Toby and it seems he hasn't been getting along with my other Male Kai. He chases kai around a lot, and makes him hide in the corner of their cage. It's been happening quite some time now. He's a bit too dominant and very energetic still. It seems he won't get along with Kai completely. How would you recommend me solve this issue? Kai seems very stressed from Toby being so energetic and dominant. We were hoping he would be a bit more mellow, and less energy like Kai is. Well let me know what I could do. We did so many methods to get them together probably a week or 2 doing methods to get them together. They were really good the first week being together. Grooming and sleeping together. And now it's sorta died down.

They aren't making each other bleed, and they aren't biting each other. But Kai hides most of the day and makes noises at Toby like he's annoyed at him. And Kai has been losing a lot of fur lately.

These boys are a lot harder then girl chins.

Last edited:
Separate them and leave them separated. Some chins will never get along and you are getting very big warning signs that a bigger fight could escalate. It's only a matter of time at this point. Chin fights can be very brutal and it is not unheard of for it to end in a fatality.

Never wanted to have 3 chin cages since I never had the room. Not sure what I should do.

They only seem to get along during the morning/day. But at night Toby gets a bit crazy.

When you get a new chin you should always prepare for them to not get along and prepare to have a separate cage. Coming from someone who has lost chins due to a fight, separate them now. It's not worth losing one of your chins and it's not fair to keep them together since one guy is obviously very stressed.

My guys Smudge and Mako were best friends. They cuddled, groomed each other, were always smooshed together during sleeping. I woke up one morning to Mako laying in a puddle of blood at the bottom of the cage covered in bite wounds. Despite a 1 hour drive one way to an emergency vet he did not make it. I didn't have any warning signs. You do.

If you truly don't have the space then consider rehoming one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Separate them asap! They are making it clear that they don't like eachother. If you wait there is a good chance they will draw blood and/or possibly kill each other. If you have more than one chin you need to be able to have separate cages... they might get along during the day but that's only cause they are sleeping then. I wouldn't risk their life.

Latest posts

Back