Need help/opinions about shelves.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffycupcake

New Chin Parent
You would think with all of the threads I've made about shelves, I would be done already. Well I'm not!! :hair: Anyways, I posted in my other thread about this, but I'll just tell my story again here, so that everything will make sense. I went to Home Depot last night & I told the man that I want Kiln Dried Pine, I told him it HAD to be that, absolutely nothing else.. he brought me to the White Wood and said that it was Pine, just under another name. I gave him my measurements for the shelves I needed, he cut them down for me, I paid and left. Then once I got home, I am OCD so I typed the UPC number into Home Depot's web site & the link that came up was just what I had bought, so then I clicked on the Specifications or whatever it is, and it said that the main type of wood used was Spruce. So I was mad! Because Spruce is a no-no. :banghead: That is literally what I was doing last night. I'm so glad I looked and double checked instead of just taking his word on it.

So, today I went to Lowe's and I went into the wood section and I wrote down the item numbers for each type of wood that I was interested in. I have "White Wood" pffft, "Select Pine" & "Poplar".

I'm going to share the links with you, so you guys can see what I'm talking about if needed.

First :
White Wood -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_951-99999-1...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=951&facetInfo=
I highly doubt I'll even go with this after what has already happened, I don't want to waste anymore money.

Second :
Select Pine -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1158-829-LB...pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=1158&facetInfo=
It doesn't say anything about Kiln Dried on it, nor did it say anything about KD in the aisle or on the sticker with the wood at the store.

Third :
Poplar -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1093-99999-...pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=1093&facetInfo=
Although it is more expensive than the other's, I am definitely willing to spend the extra money to make sure my fur balls are in good health. I haven't done much research on Poplar for chinnies, so any info is appreciated! If there is anything specific or anything like that please let me know. I just have a feeling that this will be the type of board I end up getting.

Do any of the boards say HT on them? I was told that means heat treated. Our Lowes has wood that actually says KD on it. You would think all Lowes would be the same?

I haven't heard anything specific about poplar, other than it's chin safe.

Do any of the boards say HT on them? I was told that means heat treated. Our Lowes has wood that actually says KD on it. You would think all Lowes would be the same?

I haven't heard anything specific about poplar, other than it's chin safe.

I remember seeing HT.. but, I looked at so many boards I really don't remember if any of those were ones that said it or not. There was a section that had signs that said KD on them, but they were only 2 inches thick and up.. nothing in measurements I wanted.

I wasn't sure if there was a certain type of Poplar or a certain kind of treatment to look for, since I'm new to this handyman business.. I'm not sure about terms and what is normal and stuff.. haha.

I guess I'm just going to get the poplar. So, is any kind of poplar okay? That one says KD in the specifications & then under Dressing it says this S4S (Surfaced four sides).. does that mean anything?

I guess I'm just going to get the poplar. So, is any kind of poplar okay? That one says KD in the specifications & then under Dressing it says this S4S (Surfaced four sides).. does that mean anything?

It just means it is smooth on all four sides. Just be prepared that making anything from hardwood like poplar makes it 10x as loud when the chin chews on it. I had a house made of poplar and I had to take it out because it was keeping the whole house up when he chewed on it. I would look again in the pine for KD stamps.

Not all Lowes or Home Depots have the same stock because they purchase from mills in their area. Most of the Lowes in my area do not carry KD pine slats (much to mine and my friend who builds fences' chagrin), but I find it occasionally.

Neither of the stores have the KD Pine. Just whitewood & I am definitely not taking that type of risk again. I have to go today & get the wood though, because I'm trying to get my chinnies picked up tomorrow to bring them home.

So, I'll just have to hope that the poplar isn't too loud to stand. ;) So, is any kind of poplar okay.. like do I need to look for a certain kind or is that in the link okay?

Poplar is pretty much poplar. The hardwoods do not have the tannins and tar that pine has, so they do not have to be KD.

poplar

You would think with all of the threads I've made about shelves, I would be done already. Well I'm not!! :hair: Anyways, I posted in my other thread about this, but I'll just tell my story again here, so that everything will make sense. I went to Home Depot last night & I told the man that I want Kiln Dried Pine, I told him it HAD to be that, absolutely nothing else.. he brought me to the White Wood and said that it was Pine, just under another name. I gave him my measurements for the shelves I needed, he cut them down for me, I paid and left. Then once I got home, I am OCD so I typed the UPC number into Home Depot's web site & the link that came up was just what I had bought, so then I clicked on the Specifications or whatever it is, and it said that the main type of wood used was Spruce. So I was mad! Because Spruce is a no-no. :banghead: That is literally what I was doing last night. I'm so glad I looked and double checked instead of just taking his word on it.

So, today I went to Lowe's and I went into the wood section and I wrote down the item numbers for each type of wood that I was interested in. I have "White Wood" pffft, "Select Pine" & "Poplar".

I'm going to share the links with you, so you guys can see what I'm talking about if needed.

First :
White Wood -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_951-99999-1...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=951&facetInfo=
I highly doubt I'll even go with this after what has already happened, I don't want to waste anymore money.

Second :
Select Pine -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1158-829-LB...pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=1158&facetInfo=
It doesn't say anything about Kiln Dried on it, nor did it say anything about KD in the aisle or on the sticker with the wood at the store.

Third :
Poplar -
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1093-99999-...pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=1093&facetInfo=
Although it is more expensive than the other's, I am definitely willing to spend the extra money to make sure my fur balls are in good health. I haven't done much research on Poplar for chinnies, so any info is appreciated! If there is anything specific or anything like that please let me know. I just have a feeling that this will be the type of board I end up getting.

I whent to lowes and bought three 8foot by 1foot boards of poplar and hand made my shelves will post pictures tomorrow poplar is best choice because its the hardest which makes it very difficult for then chin to chew really if its an inch thick! sand down the edges and make boarders so the poop stays in :D

Back