Need help! Kerby wont eat.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circulita17

I got Kerby Oxbow food because he was eating this non-nutritional kind of pellets. I slowly changed his pellets like it says on the back of the bag. After three weeks i completely changed it to Oxbow no nore mixing. Now he doesnt eat at all. Just his hay. I dont see that his losing weight.

He'll be fine on just hay - chins can be stubborn with food!
If he doesn't start on the pellets after a week, maybe switch to another brand, mixing of course! Some can be finicky.
Was he eating the oxbow during the switch, or just 'pitching' it?

How long has it been that he hasn't touched just the Oxbow pellets? Did the other food contain treats? I would stick with the Oxbow and give it a day or two more but definitely give him lots of fresh hay every day. An analogy I've seen posted many times is that its like feeding him candy (the crappy feed) and then switching it to veggies (the Oxbow).

Yes he was finishing all his food that I mixed for him gradually. Now that its all just Oxbow he dont eat often. He makes a weird grunting noise when he eats like if its bothering him.
He'll be fine on just hay - chins can be stubborn with food!
If he doesn't start on the pellets after a week, maybe switch to another brand, mixing of course! Some can be finicky.
Was he eating the oxbow during the switch, or just 'pitching' it?

He touches his food but he dont eat as much as he use to eat with the other kind of food. Yes the other food contained alot of treats but I would take them out before I Gave him the food.
How long has it been that he hasn't touched just the Oxbow pellets? Did the other food contain treats? I would stick with the Oxbow and give it a day or two more but definitely give him lots of fresh hay every day. An analogy I've seen posted many times is that its like feeding him candy (the crappy feed) and then switching it to veggies (the Oxbow).

Even though you picked the junk out of the pellets, they still retain the taste of it. Right now, he's got to learn to live wo that sugary taste and he doesn't like it. It's like offering a kid broccoli instead of a candy bar. As long as he is eating hay and not losing weight, he's fine. Just keep giving him the Oxbow and as much hay as he will eat.

Back