Need Help: Fundraising for rescue chin dental exam.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
We work with a nature center that has a traveling show. At some place in New Jersey, someone approached the owners with a miserable drowned rat of a chin in a bare Marchorio cage with a plastic dust house and an aluminum bird toy. To quote one of the owners, "I couldn't leave her like that!" The only story they gave is that she's 12 years old, and yet, she's sweeter than honey and one of the teeniest adults I've ever seen. They'd never given her a dust bath. Her hay had sugared mango bites all through it. Her food? Millet, sunflower seed, and bird cereal. The bedding had molded and was full of bugs. Her water bottle leaked so much it made a pool out of half of the cage.

But the worst thing is at least one front tooth is so overgrown, it's embedded in the top of her mouth. :cry3: She's in our apartment right now. She's drinking, she's eating herb supplement and ground pellets. We're adding critical care tonight with equine senior and wet cob on the way. I don't think she'd survive anesthesia as she is right now, but she's in desperate need of help, which takes money neither the wildlife center nor my husband and I have personally.

We're asking for help from the animal community to see that, if we can't get EmmyLou turned around, we can give her a dignified and love-filled end to her pain... And this animal *has* to be in pain. We're estimating the entire possible costs to be $350 (X-Rays, filing, metacam and antibiotics), with any unused funds going to the nature center for care of the other residents, including unreleasable birds of prey, reptiles and mammals from cruelty investigations/confiscations, and unwanted exotic pets like Kiki the Kinkajou, Thumper the Sulfur Crested Cockatoo... And EmmyLou the Chinchilla. We plan to make sure she's a loved member of our family, however long she has. We just need help with the bills to see how long that life will be.

Our Go Fund Me link is here:
http://www.gofundme.com/3v4ypw

I also have PayPal if anyone would prefer to make a private donation.

Any questions can be directed to me by PM or through my Facebook, where you can probably find me on the Chins n Hedgies group.

Many thanks in advance for boosting the signal, sending love/prayers/healing energy, and good thoughts too.

Becky (and Chad) of Smart Snakes Wildlife Education and the Old Red Schoolhouse Nature Center

(Center info: https://www.facebook.com/Have.Gator.Will.Travel and http://bwanajim.com/)

(Our business info: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smart-Snakes/226000037466457)

She passed away Sunday morning. I'm trying to console myself with the fact that even though we couldn't do much in terms of improving her condition, she was fed and loved like every animal should be in her last days. Showing the compassion whomever her owner trusted to take care of her wouldn't is cold comfort, but it will have to do.

Oh Becky I'm so sorry. I know that she did know love with you guys, and that's a blessing in her last days.

You're welcome to come get some kit snuggles this week if you need a pick-me-up.

I'm so sorry she lost her battle before you were able to do more for her than you already have. I'm glad she found you, so she did get to experience a real home and family in her final days. Big hugs to you!

Thanks D. I'll have to see if Chad feels like a visit. He's pretty devastated. Maybe babies would help. I'll bring your comb back too.

Thanks Jenn. The way this animal acted, and her age, plus the story that she belonged to her dumper's "mother in law" I get the feeling she was someone's empty nest pet and was used to the spoiling most of us wish we could give. This chin had No Fear of anyone, wanted ALL the lovings ALL the time, was used to out of cage time (which she couldn't have here, I have lead paint and former feral cats). It hits so hard because I look at my boys and think "What if? Who would keep them happy and safe and spoiled with hay if I can't any more?" Really brings home what I feel people owe their pets and what an idiot I'd feel like if I failed mine the way someone failed Emmylou.

Awww. Bless her tiny heart. She is so lucky to have found you in her last days. May she rest in peace <3

Back