Need explanation of heat to make a quick decison

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

My chinchilla is having a lot of discharge again, and her genitals look inflamed. The "goop" is getting on her legs and making bedding stick to her...She got off panacur maybe 5 days ago and had or maybe still has -I'm waiting on the fecal smear results- a parasite. I'm just concerned about the amount of discharge; it was getting on my hand as well as herself. She's been cleaning herself lots, and I'm taking her out of town for a week and I don't want the move to do her in if she's weak. This dumb house has been having a roach problem since the sewers were worked on way back when and it's getting bad now. So, I'm leaving so she's not here for the spraying. Anyway I just need to know the difference between pyometra and heat apparently...Thanks again guys!

I would too take her to a vet. I have rarely noticed any discharge during heat. When there is a little discharge it is usually mostly clear and a tiny amount. Same with mating fluids mostly clear. I have never seen goop on their legs or very inflamed parts exept in the case of a very aggressive mating

No plug, but I pushed on her and no more discharge came out. but no more came out when I pushed with my other girl who had pyometra. I think she stopped leaking but I'm not 100% positive. She's still spunky and wants to destroy everything in her path
;-; I feel for the fleece buddy I got her. Just once again her genitals look quiet puffy.

Ah to add. When the discharge had gotten on my hand I moved her away from my hand while holding her in my other hand and that created a string of discharge connecting her vagina to my hand..It was awkward to say the least. So...that's a good explanation I suppose of the consistency of the discharge.

Ok normal heat is the female is open, a little swollen for a day or two, there may be a slight discharge, not usually enough mucus to stretch like that

Yea, poor thing somehow also got pyometra...
She apparently also has a little heart murmur.
The parasites are completely gone. She's now on baytril and still on life line. I'm also trying to find some fruit or vegetable to give her since the vet told me to and gave me a list. She won't eat strawberries, kiwi, apple, or kale. Weird little thing in my opinion. She took a bite of the apple and ran back into her house...guess it was THAT bad? She took a few very small nibbles at the kiwi but only from being forced to. She took the life line fine just before trying the fruit. So I guess life line is yummy and fruits and vegetables a icky =|
Now I'm eating what she wouldn't but I'm allergic to it so my throat's itching lol
I guess I'll try stuff in the opposite direction like broccoli and baby carrots tomorrow.

sorry but your vet is VERY wrong - no fruit or veg (they are bad for chins). Stick to reg. pellets and hay. You may have to force feed her CC (Critical Care) until she eats on her own

I agree with the above. It seems most vets will say this, but fruits esp. are too high in sugar and can cause bloat, and general GI stasis. If she wont eat, you need to feed her Critical Care to keep her gut moving and nutrients in her body.

Ah! Thanks for the heads up on that guys! I think she ate a little hay this morning though.

She won't drink on her own :( And she isn't eating much she only takes the life line and her droppings have gotten small..quite small.

Latest posts

Back