Need Diabetes help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Need some help. I have been taking a chin to the vet since the end of last year for loss weight. She had a spur right bottom 1st molar. He trimmed it. We have been going back for weight loss Feb, June, Sept and yesterday. I had x-rays done, and blood work and he checked her teeth while she was under. X-rays were fine and visual look in the mouth was fine. Tonight I missed his call so I listen to the voice mail blood work elevation for liver enzymes high, elevation glucose 360 high, white blood count is low. He said to see about the sugar count could be due to stress but to make sure it's not diabetes a urine test will tell. If it's diabetes what medicine would help. He thinks that it's not common in chins. If I had some information before I call him tomorrow that will help us both.

The base glucose level for chins is around 200, so yes it is elevated. However animals commonly have "stress glucose" elevations when at the vet, especially if the blood draw was particularly difficult or stressful (which is normally the case with small wiggly animals!) If it is diabetes, usually chins have type II. The urinalysis should tell the vet more. Have you noticed excessive drinking and urination?

Chinchilla insulin is different from the insulin we use to treat diabetes in dogs/cats/humans, so it is dangerous to treat them with the porcine insulin commonly prescribed in the veterinary field. Usually treatment consists of dietary management by feeding a high protein, low fat diet and reducing weight if obesity is an issue.

The liver enzyme elevation could be and probably is from the weight loss/anorexia.

A thyroid panel should be done, elevated t4 can mimic diabetes, normal range is 3.4-6.4ug/dl. Diabetes is associated with weight gain, hyperthyroidism with weight loss and elevated sugar. Just curious, is this chin a fur chewer?

Last edited:
Ticklechin - she is not a fur chewer. Does it make a difference if she is a fur chewer?

Back in 2013 she weighed 840 now she's down to 661. I try to weigh all of my animals when I notice a 25 gr drop in weight we are at the vet. She is with 2 other females. They have been together for years.

The information I get I can give to the vet.

my vet in jersey before i moved believed my chico has diabetes. He was having sticky urine. Urinalysis showed high glucose levels as well.

I ended up switching him off of Select Series Pro and putting him on American Pet Diner Alffy food. It has a much lower sugar content as they use beat pulp. After a little bit on this food, his sticky urine problem went away. He also loved the food ever more the the SS which is always great.

Only down side is its a bit more expensive at 7.19 for 2.75 lbs. And the shipping is high since they are in the middle of no where. So bulk is usually the way to go with getting that food for me.

Back