Need advice!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
So I have a pair of chinchillas that I was told were sisters but today during playtime I noticed that one is actually a boy. I have had them for about 5 months and they are seriously best friends and I don't want to split them up. I know I could neuter the male but I don't want to put his life at risk...any opinions on what I should do? (I don't have the space for another cage anyway). Getting rid of one isn't an option bc I love them both dearly.

You have already stated your options. Castrate him, get another cage, or rehome him. Those are the only things anyone can tell you to do. If they are siblings, you do not want them breeding. Keeping them together because they are buddies is not a good enough reason to risk them breeding.

A second cage may be a good option anyway-some bonded pairs eventually fight and have to be separated even after years together. But those three you listed are the only options I see available.

Even with a second cage all they need is a moment together to start breeding :( she may even already be pregnant. I am affraid it is nutter or kits.

How risky is it to neuter a male?

With a good experienced vet it isn't that bad. It is a major surgery so good after care is a must. Hand feeding will probably be needed for a few days at least. If you can get him eating Critical Care before the surgery even as a treat, things will go much easier. I had two done at the same time. One breezed through it and the other had serious complications so it is best to be ready for anything. Both survived. Keeping an already bonded pair together is the only thing that will make me have it done.

how did you notice he was a male during play time?

Well I was playing with them as usual and I was holding my one chin and she appeared to have a slightly bigger space between her privates but my other chin doesn't. However it was really hard to confirm that she was actually a boy because she wasn't cooperating. I'm hoping I saw it wrong. What is the difference between and girl and boy chin ?

I am taking them both to the vet next week. But do you guys think I should neuter him or separate them? I really want to keep them together but don't want my little boy to die. Also if I do have him neutered how long is the recovery time and do I need to keep him seperate from my female? I'm just really scared

When I got my female 5 years ago she was pregnant (we had no idea, it was a big shock to us all) she had a baby boy. I hated the idea of separating them so I got the male castrated. I did tons of research before hand, asked around different vets to see what kind of experience they had. Finally the day came, he had his op and he was fine. He was in a cage with NO LEVELS, after the op they cannot be in a cage with multi-stories as they will tear their stitches. This was a few years back so I can't remember how long they had to be seperated/the healing time for the male, but it was the best decision I made. They're happy together and cuddle all the time.

However, you will have to be careful, I did have to hand feed him for a few days when he wasn't feeling his best after the op, but they plucker up around a week after. Another thing to add is when he had the op I kept his single cage next to his Mum's cage, the scent of the vets made the mother not recognize her baby, they had to be reintroduced all over again. It takes time, but in my opinion I think it will be a happier choice in the long run for both of them. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am pretty sure I am going to get him neutered just so they can stay a bonded pair. I have been reading up on it and I think I can handle the after care. I will take a couple days off work so I can be there in case something happens. Thanks again :)

If you decide to, id suggest having any emergency equip before you start. You dont want to find your self having to hand feed critical care or something and not have the food. You wont be able to afford to wait a few days for an order to come in, during the recovery.

Back