NEED ADVICE: Living In Same Room As Chin - Sickness Dangers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikaelaW

Hello all, I've been searching the posts on here and I am suddenly paranoid. I live in an efficiency apartment with one other roommate in a bedroom/living room open concept space with a decent sized bathroom. My concern is what I will do if one of us becomes sick. Being college students, this is not completely unlikely to happen at some point. So if one of us gets sick I'm unsure of what to do to best protect my little chinchilla - who will also be living in our apartment. (In case anyone is worried about her not having enough room for play time- she will be free to run around in a chin-proofed area as well as the bathroom once I chin-proof that area; and she will have a large cage).

So if anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I go to college 5 hours from my home town so sending her home would not exactly be a easy alternative, unfortunately.

If anyone has ideas about preventative measures, or what I could do to best protect her if this is to happen I would LOVE ideas/advice. I realize this is not ideal to have her in my room with no real alternative space for her. That's why I'd love all of your experience and advice. Thank you!

People get sick. Fact of life ;) while we CAN get our chinchillas sick, we can get anyone sick. Basic hygiene is the best way. If you or your roomate are sick, stay out of the chins face. Period. I wouldn't recommend handling at that point. Most illnesses are only a few days and it's not worth the risk. If you have to feed your chinchilla while being sick (meaning someone else can't) then, again, be safe about it. Wash hands before feeding. Up to the elbow and have sleeves pulled up that far as well. Don't allow the chin in your face or on your clothes. That's the best advice, just basic measures that you'd use in any situation to not get another human sick. Most illnesses aren't airbone enough to be a concern unless you're super close. If your chins cage is, say, right next to your couch you may want to move the cage while you're sick. Like I said, people get sick and still own chins ;) it's not a deal breaker. Best of luck!

Thank you! That helped a lot! I'm an overly paranoid chin owner, lol and I try to take ALL measures necessary - ha my family jokes about me being so over protective, but I try not to take any risks. I will most definitely move her cage away from us and take all precautions! :)

Not a problem ;) It's wise to use caution. Especially when it's a respiratory illness as those can be deadly to chinnies. But as I said, you cannot find a member on here that hasn't been sick at one point or another that HAD to also care for their chinnies. Make it brief, they may be angry with you but they will stay healthy!

I'm single and I live alone, so when I had the flu, I wore a mask, did just the basics -- filled food, hay and water and tried to stay away. I think that they missed me, because I usually bus their cages and visit with them morning and night.

Better safe than sorry...

More often than not, the common viruses we humans get are specific to humans and therefore can not infect animals. However, there are the odd few that can be transmissible from humans to animals. I wouldn't worry too much. Just as it has been stated, be sure to practice good hygiene anytime you're feeling sick and dealing with your animals and avoid them when possible.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel much better prepared :)

Latest posts

Back