Natural habitat brought indoors?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronica

Grumpie loves to explore our front yard on beautiful days like today. She walks in the grass, pushes her way through the hostas and digs in the sand. Today she was actually rolling around in the sand. Cutest thing I've ever seen. (Don't worry, my husband & I supervised her the entire time.)

So, I was thinking about bringing some of these outdoor elements into her indoor cage. Right now her cage is awfully boring - kiln dried pine bedding, a wheel and a fleece bag that she spends 95% of her life in.

What do you think of adding a bowl of sand from the yard & a big artifical leafy plant? I've never seen any cage pictures with these features and am wondering if there's a reason.

Thanks!

I would probably skip the sand. I think it is probably okay under supervision every once in a while, but there is a thread about why it is not the best choice for in the cage. An artificial plant may work, though, or you could add a piece of PVC pipe for her to crawl through. :)

Back