Nasty taste, or something else?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

I took Chia out into the bathroom (well, actually I'm in there with her now) and she's gotten to an age and level of confidence that she can get up onto the counter. This isn't a problem, normally I sit on the counter now so I can make sure she's not getting into anything.

But just a few minutes ago, she licked at the overflow drain thing in the sink. Immediately afterwards she made this crazzzyyy face, her mouth was wide open and she was swiping at it. At first I thought maybe she was choking, but the ordeal ended quickly and she went back to being normal and hyper.. Now she's just running around like crazy and acting normal.

Is it possible that she just thought it tasted really gross? Or should I watch for something? Her expression was just unbelievable. *I don't think there's anything dangerous in the sink other than maybe some rust, but she looked genuinely distressed by what she had just tasted...

there is a possibility there could be all sorts of nasties in there... mold, chemical cleaners bacteria of all sorts. i would keep a good eye on her for the next few days to make sure she doesn't pick some thing up from it, just as a pro cation. make sure she's eating drinking pooping peeing and acting normally.
as for the face to me it just sounds like she either tasted or smelled some thing she really did not like

Okay, I'll keep a close eye on her!

She's been munching on some dropped pellets on and off since I put her back in the cage, and first thing tomorrow I'll be cleaning her cage and fleece so I'll be able to monitor her poops. She's drinking normally too.

I'm not even certain that she actually licked the thing, I sort of assumed because of the face she made... But I smelled the area right after and it smelled pretty yucky to me, so I can only imagine what she smelled...

She likely did just get a whiff of it or perhaps tried to chomp on the edge of it and got some rust or gritty stuff on her teeth. Just take the time to monitor her, as I'm sure you are now doing, and hopefully she will be fine :) if you do see some thing different don't hesitate to take her to the vet.

It is possible that she just tasted some soap, hence, the face. Keep a close eye on her for the next few days and if anything changes, take her to the vet.

Chia is just fine! I'm going to assume she smelled something stinky, cause she's been acting very normal. :)

Back