Nasty nose bite :'(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundalo

Hello,

I wanted to register to ask advice, as well as say thank you for such a complete list of resources and tips. We own a former rescue who has always had a reserved but nice personality, and have since taken in a couple of other rescues as well as one store-bought chin. Thanks to the advice on this forum, we've taken many precautions as they've all been introduced to each other. Two bonded MF chins we adopted have one cage, our original female chin has a second, and the young purchase (2 months old) has her own. They are in the same room, but with quite a bit of space between the cages.

Our original chin had no problem when we took her to meet the bonded pair rescue, though she was a little skittish. However, the store-bought chin she didn't much care for right off the bat. We've never let them out to play together, nor had them share a cage, but we have introduced them in neutral areas, swap cages after several days for a time, and leave their cages in close-ish proximity, but so far, after 2 weeks, she still harasses the little one, Tweak. I fully expected it to take upwards of a month of the separation and cage swapping before seeing progress, but...

Anyhow, while she was out for her play time earlier tonight, she started trying to pester the Tweak through the bars of the Tweak's cage. Before I could pull our original chin away and separate them, Tweak, who usually just runs and hides, decided she had enough. Tweak nipped her on the left nostril really good, and took a small bit out of it, losing part of her nostril. :'( The bleeding stopped pretty quickly after I cleaned the wound with saline, and it doesn't look like it's interfering with her breathing. In fact, apart from her interaction with Tweak, her personality is about the same. no sneezing or anything, even. She still comes when I call, as well as when I offer up a treat. Even now, she's just running around a separate play area to which I isolated her.

The question is, having read of other people's experiences, I'm still not sure whether it's considered "normal" or whether there's something I can do. Should I keep at cleaning the nose wound? It doesn't look like it can be fixed with stitches. Is this one of the tortuous bits all new-to-multiple-chins owners have to suffer through? If it is, ugh... :( we were really hoping they would bond over time, because Tweak and the bonded pair haven't shown a whit of hostility to each other, and have even begun grooming one another cautiously. If they have to be separated permanently, that's fine, we have both the time to give them all attention and the space for them to play separately, but I was very much hoping there was still a chance for them to get along.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to schedule a vet appointment, but since there's only a couple of small-animal/exotic pet vets in the area, we usually have to wait an extra day to get an appointment.

Two bonded MF chins we adopted have one cage, our original female chin has a second, and the young purchase (2 months old) has her own. They are in the same room, but with quite a bit of space between the cages.

Our original chin had no problem when we took her to meet the bonded pair rescue, though she was a little skittish. However, the store-bought chin she didn't much care for right off the bat. We've never let them out to play together, nor had them share a cage, but we have introduced them in neutral areas, swap cages after several days for a time, and leave their cages in close-ish proximity, but so far, after 2 weeks, she still harasses the little one, Tweak.

You can apply bluekote to her nose. I haven't had that kind of injury happen before, so someone else with more experience may offer a better suggestion.

So you have a male and female together in one cage, then another cage w/ a female, and another cage w/ a female? And they have all shared playtime?
That's the way I'm reading it. If so, you need to separate the male and female now. All 3 females will now have to be on pregnancy watch.

I hope the male is neutered since these are all rescue chins. :)

Just keep an eye on the nose. Small injuries like that usually clear up on their own within a week or two. Keep an eye on her nose for inflammation, swelling or trouble breathing. Any of those signs and it would be good to do a vet visit, otherwise I would just let it heal.

You can apply bluekote to her nose. I haven't had that kind of injury happen before, so someone else with more experience may offer a better suggestion.

So you have a male and female together in one cage, then another cage w/ a female, and another cage w/ a female? And they have all shared playtime?
That's the way I'm reading it. If so, you need to separate the male and female now. All 3 females will now have to be on pregnancy watch.

No, they all have separate playtime, currently, though I've slowly been working Tweak's playtime to overlap with the bonded pair, who have been quicker to accept her. After three days of overlapping play time, I've let them play in the same area together for about 5 minutes before herding whichever ones were out first back into their cage and letting the later one have the run of the room.

Also, the male is neutered, as he was a rescue and that was performed by the rescue organization's vet. So, if it happens, it could only be immaculate chinchilla conception, or our boy hedgehog is quite randy. :)

I hope the male is neutered since these are all rescue chins. :)

Just keep an eye on the nose. Small injuries like that usually clear up on their own within a week or two. Keep an eye on her nose for inflammation, swelling or trouble breathing. Any of those signs and it would be good to do a vet visit, otherwise I would just let it heal.

Yes indeed, he is neutered. :) I was up with the bitten one until around 11:30 last night (she was bitten around 7:30) watching her, looking for ill effects or stress indicators. Slept horribly because of it and kept getting up to check on her, and even this morning it looks like it's pretty clean, though still a nasty bite. I hope to leave work early as well, just to go check. I've been so worried about it...

Well, the good news is that it's clotted over well and she's still running about and curious as ever, though she is a bit more skittish than pre-bite. Though she still does chase off the cat. It looks like the damage is more cosmetic than problematic, but I'll be keeping close watch for any swelling or other badness. I have her playing in a separate area again, where she can't reach the other cages, but the other chins can explore her cage. Tomorrow I'll let the others play in the other area and let her explore their cages, and then have 'em switch for the night then.

Thanks so much, and I'll be sure to post future updates as to how they're getting along. The other three were together for a very closely supervised 15 minutes with no signs of aggression, just curiosity and nerves still. I do hope the bitten one gets comfortable with them, the others are so cute playing together.

Good to hear she's better. You should probably wait a few weeks to let her heal up and let them all kind of forget her and vice versa, odds are she won't trust them for a while. My dad's got bitten by Caboose on the nose, luckily she barely missed his nostrils. He's doing perfect.

So, uh, we discovered why she was so aggressive to the other chins all of a sudden, yesterday...Turns out that our supposedly fixed girl, whom we had previously introduced to a supposedly female younger chin a few months ago for the purposes of finding her a friend, got along RATHER WELL with that supposed female. This led to the discovery yesterday that the other chin was decidedly not female, and ours is decidedly not fixed.

We didn't get to adopt the other way back when because someone else had claimed her before we had decided and had all the appropriate equipment. Apparently, business was able to be concluded in a very brief period of time while they were exploring an empty box.

Mother and baby boy chin are so far doing well, and have vet's appointments for this afternoon. We're a bit on edge ourselves what with having not expected any such thing. We've been furiously mining the forum for baby chin care tips and when to separate baby from mom and the like, so thanks everyone for all their tips and info. He's an adorable little thing. (Her nose does appear to be healing well, thankfully, though it may well remain a small scar...)

Scab just fell off, and she's playful as ever. *whew* Still adorable, though there's definitely a small scar on her nose. What with the kit about, the only time to get a pic of her is when she's nursing, and I don't want to startle her away from him while he's feeding. We'll probably be some weeks before we introduce her into the same area as the other chins, though. She still wants back into that room like nobody's business. Maybe as the kit grows the territorial behaviour will lessen. *fingers crossed*

Latest posts

Back