My very very not shy girl :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby and Elmo

So its been a month since Muffin and Toffee are home.
I have noticed Muffin (My mosaic girl) is so NOT scared of humans, she's like a flying sugar glider, whenever i open the cage door to sweep or refill, she would want to fly out her cage, ( its about 3 ft off the floor from the cage door), which is very disturbing because i don't want her to break a leg or anything, she's like scared of NOTHING! And These past few days, she has learnt to jump right onto my shoulder from my hand when she's pretending to sit on my hand and being a good girl. That really scared my butt off, I', not that tall, 5 ' 4", but falling from my shoulders could break bones :banghead:

Its lovely and all that she loves me and wants to sit on my shoulder, she's never actually sat there, i always pull her back down before she makes her next move,
She's not scared of handling AT ALL, and i can pet her endlessly and she wouldnt care.

My question is, when your chins sit on your shoulders, what do u do to prevent it from wanting to jump off or fall off? Do u support them with your hands, or hold their tail as a precaution?

I havent let them out for playtime yet, might start this month, this might mellow Muffin down to wanting to flying out everytime i open the cage door.

As for Toffee, she's the sweetest little chin, so lady like, i can talk to her, pet her, when i scratch her tummy, she would pull my hand into her body and start cuddling it, and she's not a flying sugar glider haha.

Its been awhile since i've had young chins, my boys are so laid back (they're 7 yrs old), so I am having all the fun again with Toffee and Muffin, just watching them doing acrobats and silly stuff.
Dont get me wrong, I love my boys so very much still.

But i am trying to clean their cage, i sometimes wonder when these silly babies will start to mellow down:clap1:

I usually don't let my chins sit on my shoulder or head. I am just too cautious. Even if you tried to support her, there is always that chance she could take you by surprise and jump off.

Same, if its nearly play time and I need to get into her cage, Amp will just fly out and sit on my shoulder. As long as I don't move too much, she sits still and watches the computer moniter while I fill the food or hay or sweep poo or whatever. But if I take too long or walk at all, she's tried to jump to the ground. Luckily the few times shes done it I've caught her, but it scares the bejeesus out of me anyway. Long story short, if I'm going to just be in her cage for a few minutes, I let her chill on my shoulder (better view of the TV from up there, and it gives me a smile to know she just wants to hang out) but if its play time or serious cage cleaning time, I avoid it (and feel thoroughly shamed when she gives me the stink eye for it).

Latest posts

Back