My sweet little rats :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

Lucy and Ethel my little rats were being photogenic last evening!

P1000026.jpg

P1000023.jpg

P1000028.jpg

P1000029.jpg

P1000040.jpg

Thanks :) These girls are my first rats and they are a lot of fun :) These two are like little dogs, lol, they can't get enough attention!! And they love to customize their hammocks, as you can see....
I also have a hairless rats, who is super shy - and she seems to have more health problems. Her eyes seem to constantly have an issue and she has a tumor that needs to be removed soon. The problem is that we have no idea how old she is, if she is at the end anyways we don't want to put her through a much of medical procedures...its been a long discussion at my house...
Here's Mona hiding between her hammocks

P1000035.jpg

OMG they're all so adorable! I love how they got so close to the camera, like "Food?" haha! I use to have rats but they were so smelly! Which is why I like the chinchillas, they never smell! haha Maybe when I get a bigger apartment I can get some rats again :))

Yah the rats can get a bit stinky - I end up having to clean their pan and change their liners every day and then I vaccum the rest of their cage :) Hammocks and shelf liners are changed once or twice a week - so all that cuts down on the smell quite a bit. However, if I miss a day I can tell!!!

How do you like having girls? I had two male rats a couple years ago-- I LOVED their personalities and would love to get more but the memories of their constant pee trails are still too fresh for me to cave in to the temptation. I've always heard that girls are constantly on the go as opposed to boys who are more likely to be lazy and enjoy snuggles.

I have several girls, I love them all! My first 3 were rescues from people that were going to use them for food, one is a Cinnamon Pearl (Syn), an apricot hooded (Rosie), and a violet hooded (Rebel). I have a white albino dumbo named Spectre, and the recent addition of a siamese point and a tiiiiny black baby with white feet. All the older girls mother her, its so cute! They are very shortly getting a MASSIVE cage, this one to be exact: http://martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/ Its the Condo with Barn top cage. I cant wait to get it all outfitted for them!

I love my little ladies - I don't think I could deal with the male genitals...
My girls are very much on the go but we are assuming that they are still under 1 year. Ethel - the black on - is "mine" and she love to running all over me and sit in my hood :) But I defiately wouldn't label them as cuddly...lol way to hyper for that :)

Adorable, Lovin! They are so cute and I really like their coloring. I have two girls as well. :))

BTW, I have that ceramic dish as well, lol.

How do you like having girls? I had two male rats a couple years ago-- I LOVED their personalities and would love to get more but the memories of their constant pee trails are still too fresh for me to cave in to the temptation. I've always heard that girls are constantly on the go as opposed to boys who are more likely to be lazy and enjoy snuggles.

I think it depends hedgie. I heard that as well. My first rat was a boy and although he had huge (gosh, I'm just not sure what to call them and still sound appropriate at the same time, lol) well go with fuzznuts; he did love to mark me. He wasn't necessarily a "hold me and love me" all the time boy, but man would he run around, find my foot and regardless if I was barefoot or had shoes on... drag them over me and mark me with pee. Not to mention purses, floor lamps, boxes, etc. Yep, he owned everything in my house. I loved Nicodemus though and wouldn't have traded him for anything.

My girls? Well, they are boys but with girl parts. I thought I'd get away from it with my females... nope! They are sometimes even worse. It doesn't matter what body part it is: hand, foot, arm, shoulder *sighs*, I'm theirs (and yes, both of them do it to me equally). After a while I guess I just got used to it and I usually just have a wet paper towel.

Ah, the things we do for our animals.

Adorable, Lovin! They are so cute and I really like their coloring. I have two girls as well. :))

BTW, I have that ceramic dish as well, lol.

I think it depends hedgie. I heard that as well. My first rat was a boy and although he had huge (gosh, I'm just not sure what to call them and still sound appropriate at the same time, lol) well go with fuzznuts; he did love to mark me. He wasn't necessarily a "hold me and love me" all the time boy, but man would he run around, find my foot and regardless if I was barefoot or had shoes on... drag them over me and mark me with pee. Not to mention purses, floor lamps, boxes, etc. Yep, he owned everything in my house. I loved Nicodemus though and wouldn't have traded him for anything.

My girls? Well, they are boys but with girl parts. I thought I'd get away from it with my females... nope! They are sometimes even worse. It doesn't matter what body part it is: hand, foot, arm, shoulder *sighs*, I'm theirs (and yes, both of them do it to me equally). After a while I guess I just got used to it and I usually just have a wet paper towel.

Ah, the things we do for our animals.

Oh man, I was really hoping that females wouldn't do that!

We have had 4 rats, all girls. I just can't have boys, I held one once and I was creeped out the entire time. No male hamsters or mice for that same reason! None of our 4 ever "marked" us like that - only peed if held too long or scared. Out of our 4 girls: 1 hated us and bit people, 2 were absolute loves, and 1 preferred being in the company of other rats, very skittish with people. They truly have their own personalities.

When we buy a house sometime in the near future, my husband plans to get more.

Latest posts

Back