My stupid black mutt, Mom wuffs you!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight Chinchillas

Zookeeper extraordinaire
There are dogs, then there are dogs. I have the best of both. Our story started 2 years ago, on a street corner in the not of the best neighborhood, and one of the busiest intersections. We certainly weren't looking to "add on" to the existing zoo, but that's how those that bless our hearts usually sneak a paw in, then 2,3 and finally the last one!
My oldest was driving home, and seen this black mutt, sitting on a busy 4 way intersection, wagging his tail as happy as can be! He had blood on him, and she despite her best judgement opened her door, and he hopped right in. She brought him home, we made all the phone calls to the local shelters, put ads up looking for his owners. The poor guy looked to be a pit,lab,shar pei mix. He had deep wounds in his neck, down the one side of his whole left side, and his teeth appeared to be filled down. We know being a pit mix, scars, black, and male didn't leave him much of a chance at the pound.
That and his taste for kitties! Not to mention the occasional runs barefoot in 3 feet of snow after his butt the first year, when the kids forgot to shut a gate!!! (only for you boy, despite my sailors mouth)
Despite 2 months of trying to find his owners, we decided to make him a member of our family. He's not the smartest cookie, rather annoying at times. Our kitty luckily was a basement kitty, so all is good.

He is very protective of his family around strange dogs, but the little weiners eat first, and he is fantastic with our special needs kiddos. That and unknown to me, very concerned when his Momma (me) started to get sick. He would not stay from away from my side, no matter how many times I kicked him to the curb (the floor) because I thought he was making me itch, and cough all threw the night. I really believe he knew something was wrong back them.

Now as we are doing round 2 with the Hodge, he is back in my bed, and won't LEAVE! So as I have now shaved my head, and look on my pillow, I'm not sure if those are his short dark hairs or mine!!!!
As i am having another sleepless night and am up early this morning, and my buddy is sleeping in my bed, I thought he deserved his 5 minutes of fame as THE BEST DOG EVER! Just goes to prove folks, never judge someone by their appearances, but what's inside! I LOVE YOU KONA BEAR!!!

Attachments

• Kona Bear.jpg
    Kona Bear.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 168
ADORABLE! Is that the right word to use for him? hmmm, don't know....but he looks like a sweetie....I had a pitbull/staffordshire once and he was the sweetest dog ever....my dad built him a dog house and he sat right in the middle of the floor and wouldn't leave despite all the pounding and hammering of nails as the walls went up around him......lol

Funny how animals know when things are wrong...illness, storms, fires etc......they sense things before we do.

Lucky he found you! hope you are feeling better.

He is beautiful, inside and out. Animals are healers, they really are and they are good teachers as well. :)

Feel better soon Christine!

Awww he's so handsome and he sounds like a wonderful companion! I hope you are feeling better soon, Christine :)

I swear I just saw Kona Bear's twin!!! Same big block head, same sweet face!!! What a good boy!

Aww, Christine, I'm so glad you posted this! He looks like a big ol' baby. He also appears to maybe have some Mastiff in him?

And you are right-on about looks being deceiving. I got my Biscuit when she was 6 months old--by then severely traumatized by whatever she experienced in her short life. She was thin, nervous, with big floppy ears. It took her years to grow into herself--mentally and physically. Now when people encounter her they often say, "What a pretty dog!" which warms my heart, because she's come so far, and she is the SWEETEST dog I have ever known. I'm so glad I took a chance on her, and thank you for taking a chance on Kona!

I've wondered about the Mastiff, but so many say they see Pit in him. Either way, he's the love of our life. He was very thin when we got him, and we speculate that he might have very well been a bait dog. We have to muzzle him when he's out in public, just one stare down from another dog and he goes beserk. I know a lot of people told us to not keep him, but I believe every animal deserves a chance, and if for one second i thought he was a risk to my the kids, I would, but if Ramos my autistic son cries or screams, claps his hands like hammer, Kona goes running for my room, and under the covers!

Sounds like it was a blessing to find him! He seems like a perfect fit into your family :) Good luck with your healing. We fought lung cancer here as well. Chemo, radiation, and a stem cell transplant & we are 3 years cancer free. God bless!!!

Sounds like it was a blessing to find him! He seems like a perfect fit into your family :) Good luck with your healing. We fought lung cancer here as well. Chemo, radiation, and a stem cell transplant & we are 3 years cancer free. God bless!!!

That is totally awesome!!!! I hope to be joining you in being cancer free too!

I've wondered about the Mastiff, but so many say they see Pit in him. Either way, he's the love of our life. He was very thin when we got him, and we speculate that he might have very well been a bait dog. We have to muzzle him when he's out in public, just one stare down from another dog and he goes beserk. I know a lot of people told us to not keep him, but I believe every animal deserves a chance, and if for one second i thought he was a risk to my the kids, I would, but if Ramos my autistic son cries or screams, claps his hands like hammer, Kona goes running for my room, and under the covers!

Yes, I believe every animal deserves a second chance as well-----the Vick dogs are testament to that.

Latest posts

Back