my sons,homework,the other half, and other stuff

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommyslittlechins2010

Well the first week of school went well.only one more day and thier done till next tuesday.. My son just started bringing home homework yesterday. and we're having diffuclty getting him to do it. is ther any way i can make him realize that this needs to get done. so far the last two days it's been a battle . i hope it gets better..

second, the other half lost his ATM card... don't know where it's at . he don't even kow hwere he put it. he cleaned out the car last weekend and i think he threw it away . it's so stressful cause i'm not working right now cause i hurt my back here at home cleaing so i'm off of work for now. don'r even know if i can go back to what i was doing anyways. we have our rent to pay and other bills to catch up on right now and it's fustrating.

third, I'm trying to potty train andre . and it works off and on. but he's doing it . and leaves his underwear on all day .. But y other problem is that they won't listen to me at all. i dobn't know if it's cause thier dad isn't here spending time with them . or what .. i don't know. my fiance is working two jobs cause with out my income all the bills can't get paid . so he's working two jobs till i go back to work. i was due to start school on the 19th of this month but i won't be able too cause i don't have the money to start.. and that's bummer. i don't know what to do .. everything just seems to be falling apart.

As far as home work. I am a mother of 3. One of which has ADHD. Homework can be a struggle. As soon as we get home we do a snack and then homework. After homework they can have play time. I have a reward program with the kids. If they do there home work without giving me any trouble every friday night we have movie night in the living room with popcorn. Maybe something like that can help. It just takes time to get things in order. They get used to it after a while.
As far as kids not listening to you. It may be they want more dad time. But alot of it kids don't listen. LOL. I can tell my kids to do something till im blue in the face and they wont do it. They are hard headded and stubborn. As I am typing Im trying to get my almost 2 yr old to bed. Not fun. kids have selective hearing. LOL. But good luck and don't give up.

I know it is easier said than done but you need to establish a routine and stick to it. My son does his homework right after school, has his snack while starting it. The sooner he gets it done, the sooner he can do what he wants to do. That is a reward in itself. I think reward systems are a great tool sometimes.

The most important thing I have learned as a parent is that you have to follow through. If you give a child an ultimatum or a punishment, make it a reasonable one that you can actually follow through on. I am not saying that you do this but so often I hear parents make threats that would be impossible, or just downright cruel to follow through on, that's just counter-productive. The child is going to learn that threats are idle. Instead of ultimatums I like to give my son choices that I can live with. He can choose to do X or X, both of which are things that will accomplish the goal I need him to achieve, but he feels empowered because he has the choice. He has no clue that I would have been just as happy with either choice! It is a win for everyone.

Everyone parents differently, every child is different, we just do the best we can do in our situations but I think if you set up routines and let children make choices for themselves, it is less of a struggle because children want and need some control over their lives too. I hope things get easier for you!!

Back