my poor kitty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perabalaofmystery

i have a nearly two year old tabby. hes a lovable derpy cat who loves to steal towels and food.
today i woke up to find him curled up on my bed. i picked him up and he instantly started yowling in pain and hissing. so i checked him over to find out his poor mouth was swollen very badly. he couldn't eat it hurt him so much.
so we took him to the vet and got the bad news.
he has a tooth and gum problem. next week we have to take him im to get his teeth cleaned. after that we have to remove all his front teeth. possibly all his teeth.
so in the next month or so ill have a toothless little baby. luckily it wont effect his eating or playing much. (cat kibble is easily eaten with or without teeth.)

has anyone else had to deal with something like this?
if so any tricks of caring for animals with it?

Not personally with my own kitties but when I worked at an animal hospital, we did see this on occasion. Most owners told us their kitty did fine afterwards. I hope all goes well with your kitty :)

My cat Jessy is a gummy kitty, she was kicked by someone and they broke her jaw in two places which made her teeth loose and the vet literally just plucked her teeth out of her mouth. She had a wire in her jaw for about four years before it had to be removed (the wire snapped) and i can say i dont think she even notices she has no teeth, she acts completely normal :) The only thing i noticed is that shes more affectionate now.
Heres miss gummy...

I know its a little different to what your going through but when she had all her teeth fall out the vet told us not to give cat biscuits because she couldnt crunch them and we had to blend her food for a while. Jess hasnt had any problems eating and i guess they just adapt to not having them :)

My cat Jessy is a gummy kitty, she was kicked by someone and they broke her jaw in two places which made her teeth loose and the vet literally just plucked her teeth out of her mouth. She had a wire in her jaw for about four years before it had to be removed (the wire snapped) and i can say i dont think she even notices she has no teeth, she acts completely normal :) The only thing i noticed is that shes more affectionate now.
Heres miss gummy...

I know its a little different to what your going through but when she had all her teeth fall out the vet told us not to give cat biscuits because she couldnt crunch them and we had to blend her food for a while. Jess hasnt had any problems eating and i guess they just adapt to not having them :)
thats good that she hasnt had any problems. its also good to hear from people with similar experinces. its good to know what to expect sorta
and might i say she is a very pretty cat.

My cat has very few front teeth and the only problem he has is with eating bits of food off the tile floor. Other then that he is a garbage gut! But he does prefer wet food over dry food but I just think that's all cats haha.

I hope you're poor kitty will be okay!

I have seen this 3 times before. They go back to normal very quickly and can go back to eating dry food. They build up hard spots and can chew food just as well with teeth as without.

well my cat wound up having to get all his front teeth removed when we took him to get his teeth cleaned. i hope it helps him and i really hope he wont have to get anymore removed.
he's currently viewing us as monsterous traitors for letting the doc do it to him. i feel bad for laughing at him but its so funny to see him so grumpy and drugged at the same time. its absolutly adorable.

thanks hes actualy doing really well currently hes just having trouble drinking water but we solved that by buying him a a cat drinking fountain.
he now thinks hes being really spoiled cause he gets to eat wet cat food whenever he wants now.

Did the vet say why this had happened? He's so young to have such a dental nightmare? I always thought that happened with older cats. Poor kitty. Animals are so adaptable, though, I just know he'll be fine!

I'm glad he's doing well! My kitty eventually lost all of her teeth through old age. Even at the age of 18 with 4 teeth left, she was the boss of the dog. Gummed her paw once when she swatted at the cat and she never went after the cat every again. 2 lb cat beat out the german shepherd :)

I am glad that he is okay and getting canned food, which I'm reading is better for them anyways. I just had to switch my girls to canned food because one of them has a urinary tract problem and needs special food.

Latest posts

Back