My new Chinchilla Mansion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnt Offering

Well here in Wasilla Alaska the wind has been blowing sustained 60 mph with 80 gusts for 4 days now. Can't go snowmachining or do anything outside so my wife and I decided to take on a little project we have been talking about for a long time. And that is build a different cage for our Chinchillas. We have two, they don't get along so the need to be in separate cage but also one. It needed to be big enough so that if we didn't get a chance to let them out for their playtime one day, or if we wanted to be gone for a weekend we could load them up with food, leave and they would still get plenty of exercise. So off I went to home depot. This is the cage we had them in.

new%20cage%20config.jpg

After a LOT of research on cages we ran across this one and I think it is even mentioned a few times on this forum. But we decided to take it to a new level and make it much larger.
It starts out with a bottom floor with poop guards around the bottom. The lumber used for this was a 4X8 sheet of Melamine. The poop guards stand 4 inches off the floor. I didn't want to make it to difficult for my Chins to jump in and out of their own for playtime. Here is the floor complete with castors installed ready to put at its permanent location.

melimine%20edit.jpg

On to the next step. I used 14 Rubbermaid 16x 6 shelving for my panels and roof. Using zip ties I just stood them up on by one and fastened them all together.

half%20finish.jpg

The dimensions of the cage are 5'6 feet long, 6 feet high, and 32 inches deep from front to back. I used a 1/4 inch piece of smooth unfinished plywood for a divider. Split right down the middle each chin has a 32 inch square 6 feet high to jump around in. Now on to installing the plywood shelving.

install%20shelves.jpg

I still have a couple more 1x10 pieces of pine board lumber that I can use to make more shelving but by this time it was getting late and we needed to get done so we could clean up our mess. Time to install Chins!

install%20chins.jpg

So we installed the Chins and then proceeded to watch. It probably took 10 minutes for one of them to make it all the way to the top shelf. It wasn't long and the second one made it. Then once they were sure of their footing they are up and down and all over it. From all indications they love it.

For most people this cage would be overkill. But it could be made smaller for each application. This was a one day project. I am NOT A CARPENTER. So if I can do this anyone can. Almost no cutting of the panels was needed. I had to cut 4 of the panels with a hack saw. The two roof panels hung over so I had to cut about 4 inches off of each of them. My doors needed 4 inches cut off the bottom to meet the top of my poop guard. With a brand new hack saw blade all four took about 5 minutes.
In these picture I had JUST finished so there are still some touched I will be adding. Like a way to latch my doors. Lots of little things I can do to fine tune it and make it better. But it was fun, it looks awesome and it will be fun to be able to watch them and see them so much better.

Thank you! As near as I can tell this cage cost me $300.00 to build. Keep in mind everything here in Alaska is 1/3 or more expensive than the lower 48. It could be built for far less I'm sure as supplies are more plentiful and choices are far more than here.

One thing to note. All my plywood perches have a poop guard. The poop can only fall forward into the cage. I also kept my perches away from the front for the very same reason. I must say it was nice this morning to get up to a clean floor in front of the cage :)

Nice job!! Looks great!! Are you planning to add any fleece tubes? It would brighten it up w/ some color & my chins LOVE chilin' in their tubes :)

Hey JodiO,

It is definitely a work in progress. Last night I built another wide platform and put a little wood hut on it. I do actually have a lot of stuff in the bottom of the cage for them to and I do have fleece liners on the floor. I would love some fleece tubes but as is the case with everything, shipping to Alaska is horrible. Sometimes I order something like a few fleece tubes and the shipping will cost more than the product. I will look into it though!

I will say this. This cage is QUIET! Man they tear it up in there and they make hardly any sound which in the middle of the night is a huge bonus :) There is a lot to be sais for a solid cage.

This cage looks fantastic. One thing I would mention is that you might want to consider adding safety hammocks. Sometimes chins are less than graceful so it's important to minimize the distance they have to fall if they don't make one of their jumps. Hammocks are a great way to brighten up a cage and ensure that no one gets hurt when they're bouncing around their epic cage :)

This cage looks fantastic. One thing I would mention is that you might want to consider adding safety hammocks. Sometimes chins are less than graceful so it's important to minimize the distance they have to fall if they don't make one of their jumps. Hammocks are a great way to brighten up a cage and ensure that no one gets hurt when they're bouncing around their epic cage

Thank you Basket! That is a fantastic suggestion and I will take it to heart. I let them out for playtime last night and its so cool, when its over they just run in that cage and bound all the way to the top and they do it scary fast! I wondered myself if I should do something to minimize the risk of a fall and your suggestion just confirmed it. If anyone else notices any obvious flaws please let me know. I am open to any idea and always looking for a way to make my cage setup better.

Kevo

That is so awesome!! I am definitely thinking about trying to build one myself. Though I think I'll end up using some sort of metal clamp inside of zip ties. I do have a question if you dont mind though. The middle front area, are those two skinny boards attached to the plywood in any way or just sort of jammed up next to it and secured by the base and top panel?

Also, and this is a general question, my boys don't get along. Strangely enough tho, I think they like knowing the other is there. At least one of my boys does. So I have them in separate cages about 6 inches apart. I'm just wondering if there is a way to create a small opening in the center that would allow them to know the other is there but without making them uncomfortable and angry.

Thank you! I have had a blast with this cage and my Chins absolutely love it. I have since made several major modifications to it. I got some DRY birch branches right from my own back yard. Literally walked out my back door and cut these to fit. Birch trees are native to Alaska, no pesticides, bugs and they are everywhere. In fact just a footnote. I saw a thread here on this forum on fleas. Alaska has no fleas, ticks, etc. Its awesome. Anyway. I have had the branches in the cage now for about 10 days. To say they love them would be a grand understatement. They run up and down them and jump on and off them, its just so cool to watch them. But the best part is they chew on them. Like A LOT. One of my chins has almost chewed a branch an 1 1/2 thick completely in half. The absolutely LOVE those branches. Also, I was able to find a local lady here who make Chin toys, hammocks, etc. I bought a whole bunch of stuff to outfit the cage and I feel like its really looking pretty cool.

I have the metal clamps and tool to put them on. I decided not to because the zip ties I used are white and they blend in nicely with the cage making them hard to see. Metal clamps would really stand out and not look near as clean IMO. Also, my Chins have never tried to chew on them and for the most part they aren't where they could reach them anyhow.

The two boards at the front just sandwich the piece of plywood TIGHTLY between them and are fastened at the top and the bottom. I used 1 inch sheetrock screws and 1/1/2 washers to hold it tightly in place.

My dream is to one day get them in the same cage. Don't know if that will ever happen. I have thought about taking a few more panels and putting up two walls about 2 inches apart right where the divider is now and just have it so they could see each other. But to say they don't get along is an understatement and I just feel like it would stress them (and me) out to much. Right now they are healthy happy bouncy Chins and I don't want to do anything to change that. The cage is big enough for them the way it is and there is peace this way. One benefit to this is that they LOVE their cage. Now after playtime they will both run in their cages ON THEIR OWN when they are tired and all I have to do is go close the door. It is AWESOME! Oh yeah. The hole in the ceiling is from a stove pipe from a wood stove that got removed. Getting that fixed is my next project.

Cage%20with%20branches.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! I want to get a nice branch to fit in one of the levels of my CN cage but I don't have many options in my area XD

What did you make the wires out of?

cage question?

is there a way to make that cage without the separation? im looking to build a cage just like that in size but for both of my chins to share without separating them.. could you show me a way to do that step by step and what materials and tools are needed plz.. I love the size and idea I just don't want the board in the middle separating my chins.

Yes you can build it without separation. Just leave the two 1 x 2 boards out and use one of your shelf panels for a door. I just have it that way because my two Chins don't get along and that would be an understatement. Regardless, here is what you will need. I got all this stuff at Lowes.

14-16 inch wide X 6 feet high Rubbermaid Closet shelves. Only 3 of these should have to be cut. One of your panels for a door. It will have to be cut so as to open above your poop guards. The two roof panels will be 6 inches to long on top so you will need to cut those. I used a hack saw.

Large white tie wraps. I used these because I didn't want to see metal connectors everywhere. They are used in a way so that when I tied the cage all together they are high enough My Chins can't chew on them. They have never even tried to the best of my knowledge because I have so much other stuff for them to chew on.

4 castors so you can roll the cage to clean behind it. Not to big, large enough to handle the weight but small enough to keep the cage low to the ground.

I wanted my cage to look really nice so I put crown molding around the bottom. This serve to purposes. It looks awesome but more importantly it will keep your Chins from going underneath it during playtime and having to dig them out with a broom handle :)

One sheet of 4 X 8 Melamine. I was able to get a piece of this for 60% off because the edges of the sheet were damaged. No big deal, I just cut it in such a way that I threw that part away. This part with the Melamine I recommend you do very last. When you get your shelving you will see the turned out edge on every piece. You will need to decide if you want those turned inside the cage or outside. Decide that, then build your cage BEFORE you cut your Melamine. That way you will be able to measure the outside dimensions of the cage, but more importantly the INSIDE dimensions of your floor piece. MAKE SURE you add 1 1/2 inches to the length and width of your floor piece to compensate for your poop guards if you put them ON TOP of the floor piece! Being careful not to short myself on my Melamine I made my poop guards 3 1/2 inches tall. Suit yourself, just do your measurements in such a way that you don't have to buy two sheets of Melamine. Its expensive! Just a FYI too. I got all my measurements for my Melamine, went to Lowes picked out a piece and I had an employee cut it all out for me right there. Once the floor is built have someone help you lift the cage into the floor section

My cage is awesome. My Chins LOVE it. And they run around up and down it like a couple pros and they do it FAST! If I have to leave for a day or two I don't feel so bad about not being able to let them out. They still get TONS of exercise. The added shelves and branches make it a real conversation piece when we have company. I just had my sister and brother in law here for 10 days and they were blown away by how amazing this cage is. They loved it when I let them out. They were thrilled when one of them would jump up on their laps for a cheerio.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And post your progress. I would love to see your cage during the build and the finished product.

Last edited:
This is almost identical to the cage I'm planning for my two, although I think I'm going to use 12" shelves, and go the full 6 feet long, rather then 5.5'. It's nice to see someone else using this design, and modifying it to make it their own. Quick question for you though. What did you use for door hinges? I've been having an awful time coming up with a plan for that.

Don't over think it Pooky. My hinges consist of some pretty high tech polymer plastic they use on the space shuttle. :) The common every day zip tie. Just use heavy duty ones. One thing to note though. If you look at the picture I have the zip ties configured so that they won't let the door slide down. It has worked awesome and no metal or store bought hinge would work any better.

Hinge%20cage.jpg

Excellent. I suspected this was your method, and had been my plan, but I wanted to make sure it was a reasonable method before starting out. I'm thinking I may use metal zip ties instead of plastic ones for my cage, but the end result should be pretty much the same.

Awesome cage! And great instructions and ideas, too! Question: I cut some big alder branches from a tree that came down in our last big storm and they are currently drying out in our garage, with the intention of placing them in the chin cages in the future. What is the concern you were referring to when you mentioned fleas and ticks? We are located in south-west BC.

No concern really Kristine. My only point was we don't have them here in Alaska along with a lot of the parasites and threats to Chins that the lower 48 has. I simply referred to this when it was mentioned I should bake my large branches to kill any bacteria or parasites that might be in them. Its just to cold here for much to survive. I never did any prep to my branches. They were dry, and I stuck them in my cage. Its been a couple months now and my chins have chewed on them almost every day and I wouldn't hesitate to put more in and will when I need to. However, if I lived in the lower 48 I would take to heart being more careful by baking the branches as I think the threat is way worse.

Latest posts

Back