My new cage, any advice?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuuHouhouji

Hi everyone

Finally I got everything ready and my new baby is home. I just wanna show you all her cage so you can gave your opinion. Does it need more ledges or hanging toys? Is there something that shouldn’t be there? I have learn a lot from all you and hope to keep learning.

Most of the stuff there came from forum members. All the amazing fleece items, and the ledges came from Shooper (loved the apple wood ones). The toys are form Whimsy (I have a few more in a container), and also got my hay, dust and rose hips from her. Finally I got wood sticks from Caroline (so far my baby likes them).

The house and water bottle are from Super pet; the wheel is a chin spin from quality cage and the cage is a FN 182. The white thing on top of the house is a marble tile I got free in a construction site.

The electrical cord you see in the photos is farther that it appears, and it is not always there. It is my vacuum cleaner cord.

My baby’s name is Totoro, he is 14 weeks old and standard grey. He is eating a mix of timothy hay and orchand. The pellets are Mazuri.

My plan is to spoil one single chin, so any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• la foto (8).JPG
    la foto (8).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 105
  • la foto (9).JPG
    la foto (9).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 102
  • la foto (10).JPG
    la foto (10).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 98
  • la foto (11).JPG
    la foto (11).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 78
  • la foto (12).JPG
    la foto (12).JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 68
Wow, looks like he's pretty spoiled already! Everything in the cage looks good. I might add some more ledges/hammocks to the middle (or door maybe) so that if he falls he can't fall all the way from the top to the bottom of the cage. Also watch the picture on the wall behind the cage. They can stick their noses out the bars about 2 inches and will chew what they can reach.

I agree with the hammock just to prevent falls. Young chins tend to be overconfident and sometimes take jumps they just don't quite make. Always better to be too safe.

Thanks I will try to get more ledges; maybe I should putt the other half level (FN ledge) in the bottom so he can’t fall so much. There are 2 more ledges in the doors I just didn’t photographed them. The big hammock seem a good idea, but I would need to figure out if my mom would like to help me (I don’t have a sewing machine) because she hates ALL rodents, so it would take some persuasion from my part. To ask shooper for a big hammock is not an option because I will not go to the states for at least 3 months. I will figured out something

I think everything looks great so far. The only concern I see is the wooden hidey hut that you are using. I think that one is put together with small nails? Which is definitely a no-no for a chinchilla since they chew wood up and could potentially chip a tooth.

Thanks

I think everything looks great so far. The only concern I see is the wooden hidey hut that you are using. I think that one is put together with small nails? Which is definitely a no-no for a chinchilla since they chew wood up and could potentially chip a tooth.

Yes it does have nails in it, it does make sense that he could get to them if he chew enough. I would try to get a safest option. Thanks!

The only concern I see is the wooden hidey hut that you are using. I think that one is put together with small nails?.
The house looks like the same one I have, I just took a closer look and it's not nails it's wood pegs, they look like almost like nails from the outside but my boys have chewed through a couple and it's wood.
...Apparently the older versions do have nails though, so it's possible if it was sitting in the store awhile, you could try sticking a pin or tack in to see if it's a wood peg or a nail for sure.

Done

The house looks like the same one I have, I just took a closer look and it's not nails it's wood pegs, they look like almost like nails from the outside but my boys have chewed through a couple and it's wood.
...Apparently the older versions do have nails though, so it's possible if it was sitting in the store awhile, you could try sticking a pin or tack in to see if it's a wood peg or a nail for sure.

Check, they are wood pegs. Thanks! :dance3:

very nice setup! This is the current setup I have for my chins.

Hope you like it!

Attachments

• 20130331_182812.jpg
    20130331_182812.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20130331_190936.jpg
    20130331_190936.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 25
Wow! That cage is epic! Wish I had the space and the construction capabilities. Do you ever worry about them falling off the high ledges without having a safety hammock or something to catch them?

Love you're fleece pattern! Whimsy has a catwalk that could go through the middle. I have 2 in each of my cages. She also has wider shelves and ledges that might be easier jumps and close off some of the openness. I also have bridges that run through the middle of my 3 levels. Just some ideas for you! Great job!

Wow! That cage is epic! Wish I had the space and the construction capabilities. Do you ever worry about them falling off the high ledges without having a safety hammock or something to catch them?

Thank you, yea I realized that, cage was done yesterday, I am going to go buy hammoks and other safety stuff too,, do you recommend anything else?

Back