My New Boy, Muad'Dib

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheknnudol

Chingeneer
Well here he is everyone :) The pictures are here a bit late, sure, but they're here! Welcome my new little 6mo old boy, Muad Dib.

Album: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/album.php?albumid=119

I got him from a reasonably knowledgeable previous-owner who was feeding him Tradition and the same hay she gave her horses. He came with all of his things except the cage: food, treats (yuck) , bedding, dust, dust house, toys, and chinspin. He's very sociable and now that he is settling in to the groove of the household, he's quite the little terror! The night we picked him up I got to hold him for nearly 45 minutes while I talked with the previous owner and the only thing he did aside from cuddle into my chin was chew on my hair (which I - unfortunately for my hair tie - did not notice until much to late). Now that he's here, it has taken him only a short while to adjust but he now lets me hold him again (already!) and is starting to become his normal vocal self.

Questions:
-Right now he is in the hallway, immediately outside my bedroom door. Brock's in a cage on the opposite end of my room from this door. Is this too close?
-I don't want to be buying two different kinds of feed, so should I switch Dib over to Mazuri? Or should I switch Brock over to Tradition? I have been getting Mazuri at quite a good price from the local feed store, but am not sure what kind of dealers (purina?) would be able to order me the Tradition. I've also heard that Mazuri is very high in protein compared to other recommended chin foods - could this be more of a problem for such a young little guy?
-When I start putting together his side of the larger cage, do the ledges and shelves need to be a bit closer together than I put them for Brock since he's so much smaller? Or will he be fine because he's much more agile? As it is he has proven that he's quite the clutz so extra hammocks and safety-nets (so to speak) are already on the list.
-Is there any other kind of pet that I could guiltlessly give his rubbish treats to? He came with dried fruit, some weird flavored kibble stuff, dandelion yogurt drops, and a few other things that don't look to be good for him.

Thanks everyone!

I would think that as long as you keep the door to the bedroom closed, you should be fine. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

As far as the feed goes. I would stick with the one you have the easiest time getting. Unless, of course, one has a far better price than the other for you.

Since he is a bit of a clutz, I would, for the time being, place the shelves a little closer until he gets better at leaping from one to the other.

I would just toss those treats straight into the garbage.

Good luck with your new little fella.

Muad' Dib! I love his name! I had a cat named Shai Halud because he burrowed like the great worm! Just be careful you know how Muad' Dib could use the wielding words!! He'll have you giving him treats constantly LOL!

Personally I didn't care for the Mazuri and switched my chins to the Nutrena Rabbit Feed so I would say feed both Tradition. I think chins really learn the lay of their cage by feel and basically trial and error. Once he realizes where his ledges and shelves are he'll get around and be a lot less clumsy

He is very cute I'm so happy for you and Brock!

awww he is cute

what does his name mean? i like it though

i feed tradition to my guys bc that is what they were already on

some of the member on here sell it
i get it from forchinate chins

good luck

He's very cute! I don't even know how to pronounce his name! Congrats on getting him and him being so sweet.

I feed Tradition, I used to feed Mazuri, but my chinnies had soft poos, so I switched.

hehe... his previous owner named him after the character in the Dune books, and my boyfriend fell instantly in love with him before even seeing him simply because of the name. When I read him the craigslist ad he said "Well you have to get him now, you know." Why? "With a name like that he's going to be the best chinchilla you've ever had. Duh." Go figure! As far as pronunciation goes, I don't even try. Wikipedia has reeducated me on it several times now, but I just straight up call him "Dib" since it's easier.

What does Tradition from CnH members end up costing after shipping (and how much do you buy at a time)?

Thanks!

Thanks everybody :)

Are there actually any small animals for which those treats are alright ?

And WOW at the tradition prices! Where do you all order from for that cheap?

Basically, anyone on the forum has pretty decent and not outrageous prices like Petsmart/Petco or those name brand pet stores.

Hey everybody :) Dib is doing great. He's just full of beans. I thought I'd link you all to a video I took of him during play time the other day just because it shows how silly he is. Something about the strap on my camera just seemed like fun , apparently. Anyways, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpoIr7mWrs

hehe...

Latest posts

Back