My little Chin Has Passed.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirkSoap

I just signed up to this sight today because of a very unfortunate event that took place in our home early this morning.

Our 7 year old chin Toothbrush abruptly died as we were sleeping of our NYE celebration.

I joined this forum, finally, because i wonder if his death could have been prevented if i had had a forum of friends!

this is what happened:

We let our chin run around the house when we are home freely for most of the day. He is always hanging out with us and the cats and never gets into anything that he shouldn't except the occasional teasing and tormenting of our extremely elderly cat.
I was home all day and he was out. He was incredibly active and very happy. He was put in his cage with new food and water at about 6pm - his cage was a little dirty, but nothing that should cause a problem - and he was super hyper and happy.
We came home from our NYE party at about 2 am. We checked on him then and his food was gone and he appeared to be sleeping in his dust bath. He did not wake up to eat but did lean into my hand when i petted him. I though he was just VERY tired. I sat with him for 5 min and then went to sleep.
My husband found him at about 11am and he was stretched out in this DB...and no longer was with the living.

We are SO stumped, we think maybe he got into something but are not sure.

Do any of you have any idea or insight into what might have caused his untimely death?

We are so heart broken over this and are not dealing well with the loss. We know he was happy with us, though.

-Pirk

I am very sorry for your loss.

It is honestly hard telling what happened to him without a necropsy. This is why we only recommend to have chins out for limited play times in a chin safe area. It is very possible that he got into something toxic, hurt himself, etc. The lethargy he was exhibiting is a very big sign that something is wrong.

It is also not recommended that you allow cats to associate with chins. Not only for their predatory nature, but also because they carry a bacteria called pasteurella naturally in their saliva. It is harmless to the cat, but should the chinchilla contract the bacteria, it is deadly. An infection is usually exhibited with what appears to be respiratory problems first.

I am sorry for your loss. Were there any signs that he was ill? Chins often hide illness until they are very sick.

One thing that is concerning is the time spent roaming in your home. Basically, letting a chinchilla roam free in your home is a very bad idea for many reasons. Chins can chew anything (wires, drywall, carpet, stuff on the floor) and get into anything, even if you are there. There is no need to have full access to a home for a chin to be happy. Many people either make a safe enclosed area for a (supervised) playtime or chinproof their bathrooms. Also, chins are very active and it often does not take long for them to overheat during "out of cage time".

The cats are another issue. Chins are prey animals and no matter how much you trust your cats, their instinct is to chase/play/kill. It is not fair to put a chinchilla in that position.

Chins are housed in cages for a reason, mainly their own protection.

I am very sorry that your chin passed. It is really impossible for us to give you a reason.
In the future, if you have more chins or bring another into your home, please only let them out into safe, chin proofed areas.

Chins can have heart attacks just like humans, if he had a heart defect such as a murmur that was undetected the over exertion could have done it. Without a necropsy you will never know.

I really can't offer anything further than what the others have already said, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you lost your chin. :(

If you decide, someday, to get another chin, this forum is great and has an abundance of information.

May Toothbrush rest in peace.

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss and I know you are heartbroken but I must agree with evrything Nikki (Dragonflye) mentioned.

I am so sorry that Toothbrush passed. What a cute name. I used to let my chinchillas roam freely until one of the two got very ill and I had to put her to sleep...I joined this forum when I was looking for answers as well. The thought of a necropsy is probably a difficult one right now but if you really want to know what happened to him, that's the only way to go. I myself have never gotten them done but it may help you feel better if you know why it happened, especially if you're thinking of getting another chin in the future. Good luck!

I don't have anything to offer in telling why Toothbrush died, but I wanted to say I'm sorry. :(

Back