My girls are fighting...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daina91880

Well, one is fighting and the other is wondering what she did wrong. *sigh*

Earlier tonight, Cissy kept going after Bella: charging her, sitting up and boxing her, nipping at her, grunting at her, humping her. I seperated them in the cage and she stopped for a while. I gave them each a blue cloud rock near each other and they were fine, even chewing the same rock and rolling together. I gave them their dust bath and they climbed in together. No problems. A little while later, Cissy started with Bella again. I took them out for shared playtime, trying to get them on more neutral grounds, but that didn't help. I finaly resigned myself to that fact that they will have to be seperated.

Since their FN was recently opened up to make one big cage, I had to get an one of my extra full sized pans and seperate my boy's FN into two for the night, blocking the corner hole. I weighted it down in the corners with granite tiles as an extra precaution. Now Cissy is camping in there for the night until I figure out what my next move is.

They seem to miss each other. They both keep coming up to the front of the cage, looking for each other, but I'm afraid the split may be permanent and it breaks my heart. Now I'll have 3 single chins :(

So now I need some advice. I've had the girls less than a year, but they were bonded and five years old when I adopted them. Is there a chance I can put them back together tomorrow night? How should I try it? I was thinking about doing playtime together and seeing how they get along. A few months ago, Cissy had humped Bella all night, but it was one night and she never did it again. Was that the start of this, or is there a chance that this was like that, a one time thing?

I'm heartbroken about splitting them up, but I don't want either of them to get hurt or worse. I know this sometimes happens that they turn on each other, and there's no explaination, but I guess I just hope they an be friends again. I also feel bad that they had 2 stories to spread out in and now it's looking like I have to put them in smaller quarters because I don't have the space in my home for another 2 story cage. The only thing I can think to do is build up and put the girls side by side in 2 story FNs on top, and have the lower third levels opened on the sides for my little guy to have 2 levels of horizontal space. But would they fight through the cage bars then? Would I have to hang fleece between them? And if anyone knows how to connect FN's side by side, I could use that info for future reference.

Ugh, this is all so stressful. My head is spinning.

Thanks for the advice ;)

And I just realized I meant to put this in the behavior thread... see how stressed they got me? lol. Oh well, there are housing questions in there too ;)

Are they fighting over something (an object)? I would't try putting them together for a few days. Let them get lonely for one another. When you put them together clip the aggressor's whispers short. I know some people say play time doesn't work but I find it does. When you try to put them in the cage together again put their dust bath in - that seems to distract them for awhile. See how that works

No, cissy was just getting aggressive towards Bella whether in the cage or out. No object, not over food or hay or water. It was odd. Bella would just be going about her business and get too close and cissy would go after her. Bella didn't fight back or anything. I'll keep them apart for the weekend then try playtime.

And another question. I've read that you should clip whiskers, but what exactly does that do out of curiosity?

I agree with Barb, wait a few days and see. Maybe put them in a pen? Also, are any of them in heat? You do have a boy nearby, but its just an idea.

I had to seperate one set of pet quality girls. No matter what I tried it did not work and I was not about to risk a serious injury. I don't know why the little demons do it. But it sure makes me angry. :impatient: Lydia is taking up space in one of my grower cages and she has to go. Thus she's in the for sale part of the forum. Grrrrrrrr

At least you have room for a seperation. Best of luck.

How can you tell if they're in heat? I haven't noticed anything different about either ofnthem aside from cissy's behavior.

I had the same thing happen with my two boys. One got aggressive the other cowered and had no idea what he did. I left them separate for a few days, they cuddles instantly when I put them back together. About a week or so later, they fought again to the point of having to separate them for good. It broke my heart and I had so much anxiety. I still always wonder if I could ever re-introduce them but as soon as I remember how scared my little guy was and how he stayed in the corner of his cage for days after they were separated, I ca't imagine ever doing that to him again. Honestly, he's gotten more social and is much happier now. The other one still seems very lonely at times, but they are better off. Not sure how it works with girls as I've only had boys, but even my bonded brothers couldn't make it through puberty it seems.

Well, tomorrow night is the night. I'm going to attempt a reintroduction and see what happens. They both seem a little sad. I'll see how it goes and keep an eye on them. If it doesn't work out, I'll be building up with the FN's so everyone can have space again. I'm going to do some solo playtimes tonight for my two that are sharing a split FN, just to get them out. They seem cooped up. I'll post an update tomorrow night. *fingers crossed*

The girls are back together again. They came out together for playtime and acted like nothing ever was wrong. I left the door open to their cage and they both went in when it was time and have been fine ever since. I'm just hoping it stays this way!

I'm not sure. It happened a couple times in different locations. They're still perfectly fine together. It's a mystery ;)

Glad it worked out for you! I had a scare with my mother/daughter pair about a month ago. The daughter was standing up boxing with her mother. The problem seemed to resolve when I added doubles of their food bowl and hay box. The daughter is just a brat ;)

Latest posts

Back